• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help from those with House Bunnies....

NickyBell

New Kit
Hi,

We took the advice of the those with house bunnies and brought a dog crate for our bunny. He now has a lovely spacious home which contains his bed, bowls, water and his litter tray. He is very good and only goes for a wee in his litter tray but he does tend to pooh everywhere else inside his new home. We have tried putting the pooh in his tray and leaving it in there to try and get him to go in one place but to no avail. Any ideas?????

Thanking you in advance...

N

Poo in tray!

We had the same problem with our mini lop - she wee'd perfect in her litter tray but not always pooed in there too. The thing we found is she decided where she wanted to wee etc n we accomdated her by putting her litter tray there.

We have found that over time she stared doin both in the tray - she still has accidents but most of the time she's fine. It's just takes patience really...

I've also heard that rabbits tend to want seperate places for weeing and pooing so maybe it would help the little one if you put in another litter tray where he seems to poo the most.

Hope this helps abit! :D

How old is he and is he neutered. These things can affect litter training. If the home is brand new he might be marking it.

Guinness was they same he would pee in the tray and not poo, but then all of a sudden he just started using it to poop as well, now he never poops outside! Everytime he poo'd outside they tray i just swept them up with a dustpan and put them iin his tray, but first i would show him and put the dustpan full of his poops under his nose! It probably was just a coincidence but it seemed to work - bunnies are so cleaver!

Pooing is a way of them marking their territory - there's not a great deal you can do about it but once the place smells of bunny sufficiently it should subside :) Thankfully bunny poos are dry and innoffensive so I'd just pick/vacuum them up and stop worrying about it personally :)

is he neutered? have heard that makes a difference. Also depends on age if a babyish bunny? Nettle does that too but is 4 months-ish old and unneutered whereas Barney is good and is 1/5 yrs old and neutered.

Mine always liked to scatter a few poo's around until the place felt like home :lol::lol: I did what you're doing and kept putting them in the litter tray, they get the message eventually

my three wee in their trays but poo everywhere within their room! I dont know if its all 3 of them or just one or two of them but theres always tons of poop on the floor everynight to sweep up! :roll: Unfortunately ive never found anything that works. I blame most of the mess on Nala.. i dont think she ever learnt as i got her at 2yrs and she has the odd wee on the floor too :?

Maverick is about 13 weeks old now and always wee's in his tray. Its taken 3 weeks but the majority of his stools are now in the tray too. Once he is neutered Im ure this will improve.

Try not to clean the tray out too often, since we have done his every two-three ays he has been much better.

Mine always wee in their trays but they still like to poop a little on the floor to say "this is my space". Easy to clean up rabbit poo though.

The majority of the poop goes in the tray, and if you catch them pooping on the floor they give you this guilty look which is so cute and forgiveable. :)

mine are arkward they poop and wee in their litter tray but then love to drag sawdust throughout the house but only when it's just been vacced.

Be patient and keep doing what you are (putting poos into tray). If he's just moved into a new 'pad' then he'll be wanting to mark it with his scent. Stick with it and you'll get there in the end :D Good luck x

My pair have been superb, up until the arrival of Sienna and whilst they haven't met yet they can clearly smell her and there's some definite territory marking going on!!

mine are arkward they poop and wee in their litter tray but then love to drag sawdust throughout the house but only when it's just been vacced.

thats why we switched litter!!!

mine both poo outside there tray after ive cleaned them out, by the next morning most of it goes in the tray though.

However!!!! everytime i walked past the pen and saw poo id pop in and put it in the tray. I think that Wispa learnt that if she pooed on the floor it meant id go see her more often!

My two have a litter tray each and they seem to poop in one and wee in the other :shock: One is ALWAYS a lot heavier than the other:lol::lol: But there are a few poops about on the floor of the dog crate.
Don't worry, I did want you do - put the poop back in the trays and they will soon get the message:D
Good luck!

I just wondered - you know how bunnies like to mark their territory by scattering poops, well I have two male bunnies that fight so they get a turn each in the house for an hour or so, I assume they will always scatter poops as long as the other bunny keeps getting the house too?

They arent neutered yet and its mainly Leon that scatters the poops, so is that him tryin to say he's the dominant one?

Back