• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding Apple Cores - National Rabbit Week website

the pips do contain cyanide but only a tiny tiny amout. the outside of the pip is extremely difficilt to digest which further reduces the amount consumed (the seeds of most fruit are designed to pass through the body rather than be digested.)

you would need to eat kilos of the pips for the cyanide to have any effect. in moderation they are safe.

the pips do contain cyanide but only a tiny tiny amout. the outside of the pip is extremely difficilt to digest which further reduces the amount consumed (the seeds of most fruit are designed to pass through the body rather than be digested.)

you would need to eat kilos of the pips for the cyanide to have any effect. in moderation they are safe.

I am more concerned abotu the prospect of a blockage in the GI tract as they ARE hard to break down inside the gut ;) This was the main focus of my email, I meerly mentioned the cyanide in passing, so to speak.

Whoops, I've always given my rabbits my apple cores, and my dogs. They never seemed to have done any harm. The cyanide in the pips is far too small an amount to affect any animal or human.
As far as I'm concerned, apples are native to countries where rabbits are native so they'll have been eating apple cores for centuries.

Whoops, I've always given my rabbits my apple cores, and my dogs. They never seemed to have done any harm. The cyanide in the pips is far too small an amount to affect any animal or human.
As far as I'm concerned, apples are native to countries where rabbits are native so they'll have been eating apple cores for centuries.

Its not the cyanide thats the real issue. Dont believe that rabbits instinctively avoid dangerous foods or that domestic rabbits exhibit the same behavioural patterns as wild rabbits.

Also if a wild rabbit developed GI stasis from ingesting a pip, whose to know?

Well I just to make sure I'll de-pip any apple cores I give them in future. I hadn't even thought of it as an issue.

This autumn I fed mine windfalls from my dad's trees. I didn't de-pip them as I thought it was something they would get in the wild. Mine eat everything - including the stalk - and have been fine (touch wood - I always do that when I think mine are healthy on something :lol:)

Back