• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Embarrassed at the vets

ecudc

Warren Veteran
:oops::oops::oops:

Took Rosie to the vets to get her slighly squiffy face looked at to make sure nothing wrong and a few other things like highly expensive wormer suitable for 1 kg bunnys (1 grad thought too much of panacurr).

Bloomy bunny is very norty.....wiggles out from the vet, scratches her to high heaven and runs off the table (luckily caught).....and this is the rabbit savy vet :shock: I'm not surprised she has difficulty becuase she is such a little wiggler.

anyway....I start muttering about VHD vaccines to be told it's a no no till she's easier to handle because the vet doesn't want to loose an arm if she injects herself not the rabbit

:oops:

So I've got till April to try and get her easier to handle. Should I administer rescue remedy next time we go :D

Mops is very much like that aswell. Gets big eyed and starts scrambling off the table :rolleyes: so had to hold onto her tight but the vet still took a shine to her :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: poor Rosie and poor you !!! :lol::lol::lol: some bunny is in for lots of handling me thinks !! x

You'd need to make sure that the vet wasn't allergic to Rescue Remedy. :D:D:D

:lol::lol::lol: I think I'll need a gallon myself.

Heres a thread with some photos of her..who'd have though 1 kg of wabbit could cause so much mischief

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=107984&highlight=nethie

Actually on the subject of taken animals to vets. Do people take multiple rabbits (3) together in one carrier or split them up? I get the feeling mine might create havok in 1.

Last edited:
I have two and took them together in one carrier to the vets for their VHD last week. It was a nightmare getting them both in as when I opened the lid to put No. 2 in (well numbered too if you get my drift!), No. 1 jumped out. This was five mins before the appointment. They weighed a ton to carry too. When we got there I had to lift out my chubby girl, Gloria and whilst doing that, Wolfie was on the point of death-diving out of the box onto the floor when the vet closed the lid. The vet jabbed Gloria on the table but very wisely did Wolfie in the box as he had been examined the previous month when he had his myxi and the vet realised he had kangaroo qualities!

If there a bonded trio then in one (heavy) carrier. My three are always all together, even when Fiver goes for a dental.

Aww bless her :lol: All my bonded pairs or my four go together in the same carrier to the vet :D I dont like separating them and they tend to calm each other on the journey ;)

I've always taken my bonded pair everywhere together - don't think Ant and Hoops have ever been completely separated.

Gotta think what I'm going to do when I have my foursome (hopefully!) tho ...

I've always taken my bonded pair everywhere together - don't think Ant and Hoops have ever been completely separated.

Gotta think what I'm going to do when I have my foursome (hopefully!) tho ...

My carrier will hold 4 !! its a ferplast or atlas 4o or something... about £55 from P@H I'll show you Fri :D

I have taken up to three in one carrier. It's pretty heavy, but like others have said, I don't like to separate them. Binky always goes with Bertie for his dentals, too!:D

Ooh they'll all fit in my carrier....I just have visions of mad jackinthebox rabbits running around the vets table. Sooty probably trying to chin the vet to death, rosie trying to jump to her death and honey thinking life would be so much better on top of the carrier ....not great if you've go a hooman killing rabbit vaccine in your hands.

Barney is exactly the same, completely freaks out when picked up, bucking and scratching to get down but in the vets, he's always been ok as Joe holds him with a grip over both shoulders - not quite sure how to explain it but he puts his index and third finger over each shoulder and sort of strokes his cheek with his thumb, and then supports him with the other hand so he feels secure.

Sorry, really rubbish description but I can't think of any other way to describe it! :oops:

Kovu is a little ****** aswell, when he went back for a check up (cant remember what for though?!) the vet said she'd rather sit on the floor with him as he was 'a little rascal' when he was in being castrated! He still wriggled like mad though, think he has a reputation there already!

trouble is that rosie is so tiny that I'm not sure normal holds like that work all that well with her. She really is guineepig size. If I put my hand over her I can touch the ground both sides with my thumb and finger (shes about the same size as a large jar of marrowfat peas).

I think the only answer is lots of hand feeding and cuddles (catching her with my patented, invented today after our episode at the vets, bunny catching device..........a cardboard box with both ends cut out popped over the top when she's eating some pellets....she is white lightening fast and I think it's better than chasing her around and cornering her.

:lol: Just noticed this thread. Nibbles acts IDENTICAL at the vets :shock:. Maybe it's a nethie/dutch cross thing. Nibbles goes mental. Once she even got in my jacket and managed to get herself stuck in my sleeve - while I was wearing it might I add. She's a crazy wriggler too, but thankfully, we manage to get her vaccinated :lol:

My carrier only holds 2 lionhead crosses, or 1 dwarf lop hahaha :lol: It's posh though, so I can get away with it. In the unlikely event of us taking all 3 of mine to the vets, Bobby & Nibbles will go in the bunny carrier, and Biscuit will go in a cat carrier.

Back