• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Boys

cara

Alpha Buck
A friend has 2 boy litter-mates who get on fine.

Some months ago she introduced another rabbit, knowing nothing about bonding.

The boys had been neutered. My friend, at this point did not know the sex of the newcomer but was told at the vets it was a female. Luckily they got on very well from the off. They are house rabbits.

However, recently, something has upset the trio resulting in one rabbit requiring an overnight stay in the vets and a hefty vets bill.

My friends first thought was to get the female speyed. She was contacted by the vet on the morning of the op to be told 'she' was in fact 'he'. So HE was neutered.

Now - is there any chance they can be re-bonded? If not, bunny no. 3 will have to be re-homed :(

Anybody had any experience of this set-up please?

Thanks

Its worth a try as they got on originally. They probably only started fighting because the unneutered one got hormonal! But if she doesn't know much about bonding I suggest she asks a rescue or the like to help her.

I have 2 bucks who were bonded from a young age. When the younger one was neutered he was agressive when he came home from the vet & attacked my other bunny so I had to seperate them. I had them living seperately in the same room & after 3 months I re-bonded them. They aren't the best of friends yet (they've been together for 2 weeks) but I'm getting there. So a rebonding can be successful.

I have a group of 4 buns and 3 of them are boys... I find the female of the group to be the boss of the group, the boys are very laid back and get on fine.

It depends on the rbbots personality. The new comer was obviously not mature when he originally came into the group and now he is he may have developed a dominant personality making him unsuitable to live with the other boys.

I would personally be reluctant to retry a bond where one of the rabbits had been seriously injured. They tend to remember these things and that puts them on the defensive. They can chose fight or flight, if they fight then all hell will break loose.

Back