• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing Deterants

Is this one of those trick questions like "How do you stop a woman eating chocolate?" Cos I've tried so many things and Max loves the taste of all of them :rolleyes:

The Critter Cord has citrus 'infused' into the plastic. Dont know how effective this is though. I've been tempted to somehow orange scent my cushion covers (with ironing water?) to see if that discourages Muppet from eating them :roll: but I've not experimented yet.

I've tried most things with Millie and nothing works for long, the smell of onions was good for stopping her from chewing the plaster but the smell passed after a day, albas oil didn't work for me. :?

Soap seems to be the best so far but you have to keep re-applying it as it wears off.

Millie would love the coriander spray it's one of her favourite herbs :lol::lol:

I'll be interested in anything that works, my dad suggested pepper but I wouldn't do that.

It's the skirting board that's the problem. I guess it's hard to explain to him which woods are okay to chew and which not. He chews all his okay bits too :)

I've found a skirting board solution :)

Our skirting boards are painted white so we bought some white plastic trim from B & Q and glued it onto the skirting boards in the bunny room, you cant see it when it's on and the buns don't chew it at all.
It's really cheap to buy comes in different sizes & colours and can be cut to size.

We are thinking we may have to use this on the corners of the walls to stop Millie chewing the plaster but it won't look great on the walls :cry:

That sounds a good solution! It's just the corner of the kitchen where he lives that's the issue. Could you give me more info on the plastic? What shape is it? Our skirting has a curved edge at the top so I didn't know if anything would attach to cover it.

Our skirting boards are straight on the top then rounded, it does cover part of the round bit on ours.

It's L shaped but we bought a small one it glued to the top of the skirting board and the other part just covered a bit of the side.

O/H thinks they were called plastic trim at B & Q but they weren't near the laminate flooring they were in an aisle on their own and had metal ones too.

I'm off out soon but will try and take some pics for you.
we had them in the dining room for 6 years with our other buns and it was an instant fix. :)

skirting.jpg

Hi

Here are a few photos, we used the small one but I've taken a picture of the large one we might be using on the walls as well so you can see the L shape better.

I tried to look on the B & Q website but it was only bringing up flooring trim which was £6 it's definately not that expensive more around the £1/£2 mark depending what size you buy.

You could attach it to the side he's been chewing, we've done the whole room corners as well, we glued it with no nails. :)

Hope that helps, got to dash.

Any tips for stopping Millie chewing the corner of the plaster most welcome :)

TrimDSCF1139.jpg

TrimDSCF1143.jpg

TrimDSCF1146.jpg

You have posh skirting :lol: I don't know if I could get it to fit as there is no flat edge at the top - will have to have a look.

We have corner protectors on the wall edges (the silvery/white thing in the pic) the same idea as what you've brought but a bit thicker plastic I think 3-4mm. They were actually to stop people scuffing the edges there but would work on bunnies too. I think you can buy them in clear so they match the décor.

Any strong perfume (especially if you got it as a present and you don't like it! :lol: ), works a treat for our indoor nibblers :thumb:

As it's only a small bit of skirting, I'd just remove it! You can always replace it very cheaply if you have to anyway :)

It's my mum's kitchen :oops: It needs to be a neat solution, I don't think she'd be chuffed if I start dismantling it :lol:

I haven't found anything that will stop Piper from chewing the skirting (or the carpet for that matter) so I just put things in front of the spots she really likes! It kinda makes for a cluttered house with little boxes all along the edges of the room! :lol::lol:

Back