• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baldness

Wispa & Zola

Mama Doe
i posted a while ago about Wispa's bald neck. Originally it was from over grooming with her litter mates but its come back after i put honey on her head.

but its getting worse, she hasnt got fleas or mites and nothing can be seen on her fur or her skin. It doesnt look sore but its getting thinner on top of her head.

The picture isnt very good it doesnt show it how bad it is, is there anything i can do?

wispasneck.jpg

Is she currently in with another rabbit? Honey on her head?

Is it just that area or is her fur generally thinner all over?

shes on her own at the moment. i got told to put honey on her head when bonding her with zola but he didnt want to lick it so i used a wet flannel to wash it off.

her fur is thick everywhere else its just her neck, top of shoulders and top of head thats thinner

Lexie has the same thing!

Im not too worried about it, is Wispa having a moult? It seems to affect rabbits with a certain quality to their coat.

Mav has it too.

shes not really having a moult, i suppose a little bit. im not too worried because its not sore and heres nothing there to indicate bugs or anything. Darren keeps nagging me to ask about it!

Lexies gets thinner when she moults.

All rabbits have a silkier patch there but on rabbits with dense fur (like Lexie has) its more obvious because of the vast difference in coat texture.

I dont think you have any need to worry.

My bunny Mitsy is the same .. she is lionhead cross (we think) and the hair around the back of her neck when she is stretched out looks a lot thinner .. but its not got any worse nor does it appear sore .. :wave:

(Just reading about your heavy weight bunny :lol::lol::lol:)

Back