• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This is a bad sign isn't it? U/D Spoken to vet

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Just brought Pippa in to wash her bum where she has had the runs originating, I think, from a reaction to Baytril.

Popped her in the empty bath whilst I ran a bum bath in the sink & called the vets for advice.

I go to pick her up and there is blood, everywhere in the bath. In a mad panic I garb her and expect to see it coming from her anus. Its actually coming from her foot and its pouring out, It took me nearly 15 minutes to stop the flow and its now clotted.

I cannot see what started it but its from the sore point on the ball of her hock.

Profuse bleeding is a sign of liver failure isn't it? :(

Last edited:
Profuse bleeding is a sign of liver failure isn't it? :(

There are many reasons for 'profuse' bleeding. Liver disease being one of many reasons, there are many others including a deficiency in the clotting cascade where one factor from a number of factors are missing. Other factors which need to be taken into consideration are the size of the blood vessel which is injured, smaller vessels are less likely to bleed from and are also quicker to heal, larger vessels are going to take longer to clot over.

my late thumper once hurt her paw but it was because she was old it just kept bleeding for what seemed like ages, hopefully your bunny will be fine and not have liver failure

lisa

I hope I'm wrong, but I *think* there is some kind of artery in the hock that can rupture and haemorrage (sp?) suddenly, which can be very distressing :cry:

I really hope it isn't that because the prognosis isn't good :cry:

Amy

She has lost a lot of weight recently (she is 7 years now), we had to have her teeth sorted (hence the Baytril) but the vets are not convinced its responsible as she has been eating as normal.

Liver/kidney failure is what we were going to test for next. So thats why Im worried, not jumping to random conclusions.

hope shell be ok my thumper we think did have kidney failure, have you spoken/seen to your vets about what happened

I know when Evo has over groomed the callous on his hocks before now it has looked like a scary amount of blood, I think it's just an area that bleeds lots. And bunny blood is VERY red too!!! :shock:

Hope it's nothing serious.

Just called the vets again as for obvious reasons I am wary of continueing to give oral Metacam at this stage.

The reason no one phoned me back was that they have had a crisis at the surgry and were vetless at one point....one had to go to the other branch for consults and then the remaining vet had to be rushed to hospital for stitches :shock: looks like a bad day all round.

Pippa herself is happily tucking into dinner in front of me and hopping about like nothing has happened.

She is now doing semi-solid poops. Im keeping an eye on her drinking too.

Back