• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog crate - is this good value??

i got the 36" from them, i didnt like how high the door is off the floor - i was quite worried alvin would hurt himself jumping in and out, i was also a bit concerned about the size of the gaps but he never managed an escape..

it was nice enough and very well made but i much prefer the Hagen type even if it is heavier

they are on ebay too.... just type in hagen dog crate.. think they are a slight bit more expensive.. i bought one for my moms dog before she went back to stes mom and now she dont use it i had it back i deffo prefer it :D

I've had both types, the cheaper and the more expensive....and to be honest for rabbits the cheaper ones have been fine. If your worried about the height at the bottom of the door, you can weave card in and out so legs cant get stuck or they sell little ramps on ebay, designed for the job!

ohhh the doors look good on that one

They are in a good place, and the bunnies can jump in and out without a ramp. The only problem I had so far was to clean the textured plastic tray. If a soft poo gets stuck on it, then you need a brush to clean it. But as the tray is very light, I carry it into the bathtub and brush it there and then rinse it off.
I put a towel between the tray and the bottom of the cage to reduce the noise when the bunnies hop around.

I didnt like the plastic base that came wiht mine, it made a noise when sorrel ran on it which freaked her out. but i replaced it with some rubber mats.

make sure you wire over ANY floor level gaps cos sorrel is a big bunny and she escaped from her crate through a 2.5" gap :shock:

I bought the next size down from the same company for emergencies(of which I have many!), Although the door is quite high of the ground, I think it is pretty good value and like others have said, you can always make a ramp/modify.

I have this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CUTE-N-COZI-4...hZ021QQcategoryZ20745QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

The tray is made of plastic, so much less heavy than the metal ones. I am quite happy with it.

We bought a 36" one of these for emergencies etc and are thrilled with it. Was great when Ant was poorly and we wanted to monitor what went in and out of him, without separating him completely from Hoops. Folds flat and is very compact. As I recall it came really quickly too :D

We bought a 36" one of these for emergencies etc and are thrilled with it. Was great when Ant was poorly and we wanted to monitor what went in and out of him, without separating him completely from Hoops. Folds flat and is very compact. As I recall it came really quickly too :D

Yes, it got delivered really fast. I use it for emergencies and after operations. I needed something rather big, as I have to fit 3 bunnies into it if one of them is ill. They manage to stretch out in the dog crate, and I can add stools and boxes for them to sit underneath or on top of. Cloud thinks it is fun to climb up in the corners, all the way to the top (and then drop into the water bowl.....:rolleyes:). He needs to learn that he is not a squirrel.
I don't have space to store a huge cage, so I like the fact that dog crates fold flat, and this one can be built and folded away really fast.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-VALUE-Dog-Puppy-Cage-Cages-Crate-Crates-48_W0QQitemZ120206229764QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20745QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Really needing to get a dog crate... and I wondered if this would be suitable for 2 small rabbits? They'll get free reign of the house when I'm in, but will be in this when I'm not...

That's the one I've got. I deliberately went for a metal base so that there would be no chance of it being chewed. You can get over the problem of the high "doorstep" by getting a small cardboard box and putting 2 slots in the sides so that it slots over the entrance and then the buns can hop in and out using that as a step if they need it.

Back