• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catching Rabbits

NicolaB18

Mama Doe
My bfs parents just moved into a new house. and the woman that had house before had 4 or 5 bunnies, when she moved, she asked bf parents if they want any rabbits. they said no. so when they moved in they noticed a grey lop eared bunnie in there garden, now that one has gone (dont know where hope its ok) there is a another one appeared white bunnie, so we think the lady has let em loose in the garden when she left. so going to try catch them this after noon and take the one that is there up to Kareens Rescue, does anyone know a good way of catching bunnies?

I think food would be a good way to start, yus. :lol: It'd definately work with one of mine if she needed catching...

I've heard of people using their own rabbit to lure stray ones towards them before... Either on a lead and harness (though I'm guessing more than one person is needed in this, as I can't see it being easy to catch the s tray and keep hold of the lead) or by placing their bun in a carrier.

I always just feel the actual catching part must be hard... My mum and I play a 'what would you do if' game, where we make up scenarios and then give a solution... This how to catch a stray rabbit one was one we were thinking of a while ago. :oops:

Good luck, though!

Treats and some sort of barrier to herd them into a corner would be useful. Couple of big towels/sheets to throw over them, then you can just scoop them up.

If they prove really difficult to catch then you could borrow a rabbit trap from your local rspca/sspca.

Good luck.

Another rabbit does work - we had to use this when Egg managed to get behind the kitchen units 3 or 4 years ago - she wouldn't come out for food, so at 2 in the morning we put Donut on a lead and let her hop about in the kitchen - then we had a rope on the kitchen door and as soon as they were both out pulled the door shut....

It was a late night that one!

I would use food if they aren't scared away when you go in the garden - and traps if they are. I guess it depends how domesticated they are.

I hope you catch them! Do you think she let them all loose? Maybe worth asking the neighbours if they have seen anymore.
How awful :(
I have nothing to add as everyone has already given great advice!

Good luck with it all!!!! :D

Hi, is this the white rabbit that Kareen said had come to her today? Hope it is and that any others get caught quickly.

When I first got a rabbit, it escaped the first time I opened the run - didn't realise it was like trying to grab a bar of soap. She lived in our garden for three days in the leylandii hedge. We eventually caught her by leaving the hutch open and putting lots of tasty food in it. On day 3, she hopped in and luckily my son was there to close the door. Another method I used was one of those play tunnels. If you can stand still close by when the rabbit goes in you can grab both ends and quickly pop it in a hutch or box. But watch cos some have a hole halfway down. Make sure that it facing up the way so bunny doesn't pop out there! Good luck.

Kareen now has her, didnt need to do any chasing! she was so sweet, and was wanting cuddles. i just went over and picked her up. going to keep an eye out for the rest of them, hope i find them.

How awful......poor bunnies left behind!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

HOW can anyone DO that?!?!? :evil: :evil: :evil:

I hope you manage to find them all!!!

Kareen now has her, didnt need to do any chasing! she was so sweet, and was wanting cuddles. i just went over and picked her up. going to keep an eye out for the rest of them, hope i find them.

aww bless her, i'm so glad she is going to be looked after now. Hope you can catch the others!

aww bless her, i'm so glad she is going to be looked after now. Hope you can catch the others!

yeah me too. because its real cold up here the now. going to have another look about after work, and going to ask the guy that has farm at back of house if i can look around his barns etc.

How awful......poor bunnies left behind!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

HOW can anyone DO that?!?!? :evil: :evil: :evil:

I hope you manage to find them all!!!

i dont know how anyone could do such a cruel thing. bet they wouldnt do it if it was a dog or cat! what makes bunnies any different!

That's how we got our first rabbit. A friend of mine and her husband were on the verge of splitting up (but I didn't know that then) and she said they needed to rehome the rabbit. Her ex had said that he would take the bunny down the woods and let it go. I explained (even though I knew very little about rabbits then) that it wouldn't survive because although it was a rabbit it was domesticated and the other rabbits wouldn't accept it. It would probably be dead within 24 hours. That was when I felt sorry for her and said I would take her cos my son was desperate for a pet (He was 11). Glad I did but lots of people really think that just letting them loose is fine and that they will just blend in with the wild population.

Back