• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril induced diahorreah (sp)

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Pippa had a shot of Baytril after her dental yesterday for the ulceration on her tongue.

This morning sha has done lots of very squidgy, almost liquid feaces. Im guessing the Baytril is the most likely culprit for this. She has probiotic in her water.

My question is she is supposed to complete a 5 day course of oral Baytril, is this likely to upset her stomach further or is this reaction only normally in relation to injectable Baytril?

Also if she has Injectable Baytril in the future should we expect the same result?

Last edited:
It's usually the other way around, oral baytril is usually the problem as it goes in the gut where the good bacteria are. The shot doesn't usually effect it.

I always feel sorry when my critters are on antibiotics as I've been on it a lot myself recently for my sinus problems and always feel terrible - can't be nice for the animals when they don't even know it's for the greater good. Strange that the injection caused it though I suppose if she's not been eating right because of the soreness then any stress could affect the tummy more because of the lack of fibre she may have lost out by not eating as much.
Googled about injectible antibiotics and there's an article about one specifically produced for an injection and lists one of the side effects as diarrhea, plus diarrhea is listed in the Baytril side effects (doesn't specify this as only with oral use either) so might be that different buns have different reactions just like people (should've seen me on some muscle relaxants, was high as a kite :lol:). Might be worth asking for a different antibiotic next time incase it is a sensitivity

Forgotten about this thread :oops:

Pippa was taken off all medication (Baytril & Metacam) last Wednesday amid fears she could be in the early stages of liver failure and obvious digestive upset. This was after discussion with Anita.

She is stable now but has moved back inside indefinately so we can monitor her eating and drinking habits and also treat her sore hocks.

Our main priority now is to get some weight back on her.

Deoending on how that goes we may be persueing blood tests.

Back