• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Munch has bloat

Kipper

Mama Doe
sorry to start a new thread but not sure how to edit the original.

Im just back from the vet with only 1 bun in the carrier. Munch has been kept in to be rehydrated & other various things. Im to ring the vet later to find out how he's doing.

The vet has quoted me £215.00 to treat Munch but that may decrease or increase. All I can say is thank goodness for that rabbit insurance I took out.

Now Ive got to go to work. Did think of calling in sick but Id only sit here & worry. No chance of me crying at work.

Thanks for the advice earlier, it felt better knowing there was someone else online that I could chat to

AW. I'm so sorry to read this. I hope he does OK. Comfort vibes to you and healing ones for him.

Ive just brought Munch home. Vet has prescribed Metacam, something called Ranitidine, apparently ive to give Munch a 10th of a tablet (r they joking!!!) how on earth can you break 1 tablet into 10!!!!! & protexin.

Hes had the nurse at the vets rummaging around outside because he refused to eat anything but dandelion leaves :lol: though it cant have been that bad because she told me I couldnt take him home cos she wanted him :lol:

He's just refused his pellets but has eaten a Spring Green leaf & drunk some warm water & keeps running to his litter tray.

Is there anything ele I can do for him. The vet has also asked that I keep Munch by himself tonight so I can monitor what he eats, drinks & poos

Plus as hes spent the night away from his missus I may have rebonding issues

Thanks for all your kind thoughts & wishes

only just read this and so glad munch is improving we've just had this problem with my buns as miffy was away from parsley for 3 nights and i just let them find each other, there was a ittle tentative sniffing but miffy shoved her head under parsley for cuddles and they've been best friends again since :)

Hi Nina

Not sure if its gonna be that easy with mine. Ive a 3rd rabbit (Lucky) who's kept separately from Munch & Pip. Munch & Lucky got on really well & when I initially tried to bond the 3 he protected Lucky from Pip. They always sniffed each other through the bars of her cage & seemed to like each other.

Now that hes home he went up to Luckys cage & she tried to attack him through the bars, her tail was right up.

Now Im even more concerned that Pip may not accept him back because Lucky was always the laid back one & Pip the aggressor & now Im thinking if Lucky is aggressive to Munch how much worse is Pip going to be!

oh no :( that's horrible i really really hope they bond back together :( big hugs for you and munch xxxxxxxxx

I had to rebond mine the first time they were apart over night. What I do now is bring them together straight away when I get home and they sniff around each other and lie next to each other then separate them if necessary during the night.

I have just been through a bad case of GI statis with Katy over Christmas and to encourage her to eat I went out and bought just about every herb and veg I could get. She was tempted with parsley, kale and thyme initially. It did take quite a few days when she did start eating to get her full appetite back (pellets were the last thing).

Keep her warm and make sure she has plenty of fluids, try a bowl of tepid water. Mine prefer to drink out of a bowl. Some tummy rubs too.

Get well vibes on their way to Munch.

Back