• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Papaya tablets

Several remedies have been proposed to assist in the break up or passage of a hairball. Pineapple juice contains the digestive enzyme bromelain and has been used to treat early cases of trichobezoars; an adult rabbit is given 10 mL of fresh or frozen juice through a stomach tube or intubation needle, SID-BID for 3 days. Both the fluid and the enzyme help to break up the matrix of the hairball. Canned pineapple juice is not as effective because the canning process destroys the enzyme. Papaya contains the enzyme papain, also called papayazyme. Papain enzymes do not break down the hair itself, but may help break down the mucus that holds the hairball together. Human health food or nutrition stores carry bromelain and papayazyme supplements as aids to digestion.

Dried pineapple is no good if you are using it for the bromelain to help pass fur though the GI tract.

thanks for telling me, yes I am using it for hair balls as my two of my lionheads are moulting so I normally give them tablets, but I'm down to my last 6:shock: don't remember it being that low, getting forgetful in my old age :lol:

mine only get papaya tablets, carrot's and apples as treats, they love it when I treat them to apple, but not fans of carrot:lol:

there is one of mine that didn;t like treats at first, but after a few weeks he started to love them. I only give them treats twice a week and papaya's when I think there needed.

mine only get papaya tablets, carrot's and apples as treats, they love it when I treat them to apple, but not fans of carrot:lol:

there is one of mine that didn;t like treats at first, but after a few weeks he started to love them. I only give them treats twice a week and papaya's when I think there needed.

Well mine are on a diet so I expect they may change their minds :lol::lol::lol:

:shock: mine go crazy for them, they only need to see the tub and they get excited:lol:

Mine are the same!! At first Annie and Darcy were wary of them thinking "medicine" but after Beatrix and Frasier gobbled theirs up they had to have some. Now they all love them and I get mobbed so have to be really careful!!!:lol::lol:

I normally get nipped if I don't give them the tub to help themselves:shock: I do hand feed them to when I can, but I normally get them telling to drop the tub or else:lol: I let them take one or two, then slowly remove the tub:lol:

Anyone know where I can get a smaller amount from? I had bought some about 6 months ago and they went out of date this month so chucked them. The amount they sell them in is too much if they have :censored: dates on if you don't have loads of buns.

I've gone halves with other forum members before - one person orders and the other paypals half to them.

Back