• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

companion for Snoopy!

booray

New Kit
Hello all :wave:,

I've just joined this forum, so forgive me if I'm going to post a topic that has already been discussed. I'm just too lazy to search for it at the moment!;)

Anyway, I/we have a rabbit called Snoopy. Yes, she resembles Snoopy the cartoon dog. White with black ears and black around her eyes. No black nose though, no rabbit is perfect!

I've had her since July 2004. And although she still drops "poopies" around the house and the occasional wee on the sofa when we are not looking, I love her to bits! :love:

The thing is I'd like to get her a companion. I think another rabbit is out of the question, since she is probably to territorial for that after 3.5 years of being king of the castle. Or is it? She's not neutered by the way. I've been thinking about a guinea pig. I might get a new, bigger, cage as well if I do, so both are on "new/neutral" ground! Is getting a guinea pig a good idea? :?:

Look forward to any replies.

Rabbits rule! :)

P.

I think another rabbit would be a better option:D
Piggies really need to live in pairs too.
Maybe you could see about getting Snoopy spayed(will cut the risk of cancer)and getting her a bunny friend:D

Im afraid rabbit and guinea pigs are not a good combination.

They have different diets, different body language and behavioural patterns and a rabbit can seriously injure a GP, even if not intentional.

I have a rabbit recouperating with me who has been bullied by a GP and was in a right state.

Also rabbits carry the bordetella bacteria in their respiratory tracts and whilst this is most often not harmful to th rabbit it can have nasty consequences when passed onto the GP.

Rabbits are never too old to bond and the key is neutering. You will also find her litter training improves post-spey.

If you get her a neutered companion from a rescue they will do the bonding for you, making sure both rabbits get along and give you advice on neutralising the house.

Get her neutered as female bunnys have a 85% chance of getting uterine carcinoma! It should also erradicate any behavioural problems and also help you to litter train her easier! Our Bunnie use to pee and poop on the sofa occasionally (think marking territory) but it sll stopped after had her done!

Rabbits and Guinea pigs do not make good companions. They communicate differently, they have different dietry requirements, and rabbits have been known to seriously injure or even kill guinea pigs.

The best option would be to get Snoopy neutered and go to a rescue centre and pair him up with a spayed girlie.

I agree, rabbits do love the company of another rabbit. They will cuddle up together and wash each other whereas they don't usually bother with a guinea pig.
Can you also imagine what its like to be a little guinea pig and live with a much bigger rabbit bossing you around? I can't imagine its very nice for them. If you see them together in pet shops :evil: the guinea pigs are always hiding in tubes or in groups away from the rabbits.

Speying would be a good option for your bunny as 80% of female rabbits will get uterine cancer by the age of 3. I've had both my females speyed and they live happily with their neutered male bunnies.

Hi - I agree with everyone else - Rabbits and Guinea Pigs should not be together. If you get her neutered your local rescue would prob do the bonding for you as well. :D

I'm new here too. Just thought I'd share my experience. I got Stella at christmas time last year. She bacame really attached to me and quite territorial (ie jealous!) when I was around other people. She didnt really do much to amuse herself while I was at work and I knew she was bored even thought I tried to keep her occupied with toys etc. I decided in June this year that it wasnt fair on her. So I went to a rescue centre and after they had checked us out and had him neutered, we were allowed to take home a nervous little bunny, we named him Bud. It was the best thing I could have done for her, and him. She plays and runs around - they love chasing each other around the living room when they come in. She's so much happier now. She wasn't spayed at the time and did start to become a bit grumpy with him (and anyone else who dared come near!!), and I was worried of the risk of cancer, so I had her spayed. She has been brilliant since. The hardest part was introducing them, it took a week before I could put them together properly. Sometimes it can take several weeks before they get on and its safe to leave them. They had their arguements at first, but are now best buddies. Personally, I think it's better for them to be in pairs, or groups.

Thanks!

Thanks everybody for your replies!:thumb:

From what I've read it would not be a good idea to get a guinea pig then. Good thing to know. I was indeed put on the idea because you often see them together in pet shops. But yes, come to think of it they don't really seem to react to each other that much.

I have been thinking about getting snoopy neutered, I know all the facts about cancer and that. But I was always under the impression that it would be too severe a procedure for a female rabbit, i.e. quite a high chance of her not surviving. I guess this is on average not the case I gather from your replies. I will start phoning my local vets or rescue centres tomorrow. Anybody have any recommendations for the Denbighshire, Wales area?:?:

Thanks again to all and I will be checking back soon......:wave:

Just make sure you find a rabbit savvy vet who has experienced plenty of rabbit ops and who provides painkiller & gut stimulant post-neuter. Also do not use a vet who advises 'fasting' the rabbit before the op....this is not only unnecessary as rabbit have no gag reflex but dangerous as it slows the GI tract right down.

Rabbit surgery has come a long way as aneasthetic techniques have advanced. I do not know exact mortality rates but sufficee to say the risk is very low. We have only lost two rabbits out of 75 to neutering and both of those had complications during the op (one had a heart defect and the other a belly full of dead kits :().

Your vets can run a series of blood tests to check for any impairement that may make aneasthesia more risky if you opt to do so. They should also complete a full physical exam prior to operating.

The hardest part is often getting the rabbit to eat and toilet again post neuter. This is why painrelief and gut stimulants are so important. A rabbit in pain will not eat and the effects of a GA can cause the GI tract to slow down which is where the gut stimulant is used.

Your vet should ideally keep your rabbit in until she is eating and pooing of her own accord, again this is something you can request if it is not routine at you surgery.

:wave:

Just thought i'd post on this one, because Snoopy sounds exactly like my Blackeye was - all white with black ears and black rings around the eyes!

If Snoopy is anything like Blackeye was then he will be one in a million!!

Good luck with finding him a companion and please keep us updated.

Kerina
xxx

Back