• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Intervention has paid off

Sarah86

Mama Doe
I'm so pleased that my efforts to get a relative to take better care of her bunny have paid off. She's not looked after badly or unloved but there were a few things that ought to be changed and it was hugely down to lack of information.

For a start she was overweight but I've just been informed she's on a diet. She gets plenty of exercise and has a bunnyproof garden to run around in during the day and a good sized hutch and run in summer and is put in a large shed for the winter. She was eating bowls full of mix though so avoiding hay and just munching on that.

I sent her a sample pack of hay from T.H.E because she supposedly wouldn't eat hay and a stocking full of Science selective for her to try as a christmas gift from my two. She wolfed the pellets down and liked the dried grass which is the cheapest so most likely to be bought to be mixed in with normal hay.

Money was a bit of a concern so I pointed out that a bag of SS will go further because you give them less and the money spent on treats can go on some nice hay which will be a healthy treat for her.

Breeding was previously mentioned but I bluntly put a stop to that purely by mentioning the thousands of rabbits that don't have homes. She will most likely be spayed in the new year and there is talk of getting her a boyfriend in a few months time. (She will be steered towards rescue's and could easily be won over by a black lop male)

I'm lucky that I am close to this person and that they genuinely love their animals and my intervening did not cause us to fall out. She has taken interest in what I've had to say and has called to ask for my advice on things.

Im glad you managed to resolve this at last! Pleased to hear your suggestions did not fall on deaf ears!

:wave:

Thanks for your advice on tactics. Unfortunately its a case of 1 down 2 to go and I fear the other two will be a bit harder to get through to.

Fantastic, good for you :D And full praise to your relative too for listening, acting and not being offended.

Maybe the other two will hear how this one's getting on and be inspired...

Thats what I was hoping, they all live close by and see each other regularly. I'm getting photos of her and my little cousin soon. She's only 2.5 and is being taught that she has to respect animals, how to approach them, not to chase, pick them up etc and now Honey voluntarily approaches her and flops on her lap.

Back