• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit not eating and bonding

hondasan

New Kit
I tried bonding my two rabbits, Neo and Sky together. Neo has been neutered recently and they appeared ok with each other. However, we didn't leave them unsupervised and always put them in separate cage when we are away. Yesterday when my husband and I came back, Neo seems withdrawn, so we thought it's because we separated them yesterday afternoon. So, we put them together for the night but this morning Neo refused to eat anything. I am not sure whether he is getting GI stasis or whether he is just stressed with the bonding. Please help...We are going crazy with worry.

Stress is known to be a contributing factor to GI stasis.

Is he pooing at all?

What foods have you tried to tempt him with?

His poo seems ok, but he seems very very withdrawn. He loves alfalfa hay and carrots and we tried giving him that but he refused to eat them initially.

He's started nibbling them now. We feel his behaviour maybe because he is very unhappy that there is a new bunny in his area but they seem fine together yesterday. It's really baffling. Should we keep them separated?

Personally I think if you are going to bond them you should do it when you have time to make sure they're happy together so that when you have to leave them you can leave them together. Perhaps a weekend when you can give them a couple of days. The bonding process can be stressful for both buns and owners, by seperating them each time you leave that can cause additional stress to the buns when they are then put back together again, then split, then put back together again ............

Back