• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

RE: Blackeye - EC???? - Should I treat Smokey

kerina

Warren Scout
RE: Blackeye - EC???? - Should I treat Smokey

I have just read CRBevis's post on worming and now I think that Blackeye could have died of EC????

He seemed to be fine the night before he died, but he had lost a little weight and had been drinking more than usual.

Our other rabbit, Speedy died at the beginning of November and the only thing wrong (to my knowledge) with him was that he had developed a white patch on his eye. I just found him dead when I got home from work.

So, now, less than 2 months later, Blackeye is dead.

I still have Smokey who is a Netherland Dwarf, we got him about a week after Speedy died and he is living in Speedy's old hutch. Do you think I should treat him for EC? And if so, how do I go about doing this?

I was planning on worming him with Xeno (if anyone has used this with success, please let me know), but I don't know if this would get rid of any EC?

I know there are lots of very knowledgable people out there who have a lot of experience with EC (Sooz and Jack's Jane to mention two).

Please help - I can't bear losing Smokey too. :cry:

Thanks

Kerina
xxx

Was Speedy's cataract ever linked to EC?

I would seriously suggest worming all your remaining rabbits anyway, I worm my rabits evry 6 months but recommend annually and at times of risk to our adopters. Mine are done twice yearly because of all the rescues passing through.

Xeno will not kill of the E Cuniculi spores, it requires Fenbendazole. Panacur Rabbit contains Fenbendazole and is the treatment of choice (Lapizole also exists for EC treatment).

Personally I would treat Smokey as if he had active EC and worm him for 6 weeks. It may be more coste effective to invest in a pot of 10% oral liquid panacur for this and the dose rate is 0.2ml per kg body weight once daily.

A pot can be brought online without prescription and 100mls is about £13.

Last edited:
Hi Sooz,

Thanks for the quick response.

No, Speedy's eye was never linked to EC and was never even diagnosed as a cataract.

Smokey is a Netherland Dwarf so doesn't weigh very much, so that 100ml pot would be fine? So, I give him the 0.2mls per kg body weight every day for 6 weeks? I doubt he even weighs 1kg so should I give him less than this? (I will weigh him just be sure)

How do I give it to him i.e. syringe? Also, where can I get it online?

Sorry for the million questions, but only one more. We were planning to go to our local rescue on Sunday to get another Rabbit to replace Blackeye - are we best to wait until Smokey's 6 week treatment is over, or should I go ahead anyway? Or if I do go ahead, should I treat the new rabbit as well for 6 weeks, or just worm him as normal?

Thank you so much for your help!

Kerina
xxx

You can get pancur on line at http://www.wormers.co.uk although I think you have to order 3 tubes which would be more than you needed but I'm sure you could find someone on here willing to buy. Alternatively you can get from your vets at about £12 a tube I think.

One thing I've been wondering though is if your buns has had ec, how often do you need to reworm. I was thinking with my bun to it every 6 months for 9 days but would welcome any comment.

I give 0.2ml up to 1kg then 0.4ml up to 2kg and so on. Of course if the rabbit was 1.5kg for example I could give 0.3ml.

I think you can pick up the tubes online (non-presription) for about £4-5 a tube. Dont get three from the vets it will cost an arm and a leg!

As for repeat worming me and my vets feel the best approach is to worm for 9 days annually in spring (also eliminates ordinary worms as this is when they are most prominant) and at times of risk such as prior to bonding or boarding or contact with other rabbits.

If your rabbit is in direct contact with a rabbit showing active EC symptoms I personally would recommend a 6 week course to be safe then continue with the 9 day rule above as required.

How do I give it to him i.e. syringe? The liquid needs a syringe from your vets, the tube is a ready made syringe.

Also, where can I get it online? http://www.wormers.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

We were planning to go to our local rescue on Sunday to get another Rabbit to replace Blackeye - are we best to wait until Smokey's 6 week treatment is over, or should I go ahead anyway? Find out if the rescue worm there rabbits and advise them of your situation.

Or if I do go ahead, should I treat the new rabbit as well for 6 weeks, or just worm him as normal? If the rabbit has not been wormed then a 9 day course should be sufficient BUT the new rabbit should have finished the course before bonding.

Thank you so much for your help!

Your Welcome :D

Sooz you are a star!!!!!!!!

I'll get some panacur ordered straight away for Smokey. I think i'm going to go with the paste one in the tube as it is specifically for rabbits and then i'll have a tube ready for a 9 day course for our New Bun.

Any advice on how to thoroughly disinfect Blackeye's hutch before we put new bun in? I want to try to get rid of any possible shedded spores that may be on the wood.

Thank you again!!!

Kerina
xxx

Sooz you are a star!!!!!!!!

I'll get some panacur ordered straight away for Smokey. I think i'm going to go with the paste one in the tube as it is specifically for rabbits and then i'll have a tube ready for a 9 day course for our New Bun.

Any advice on how to thoroughly disinfect Blackeye's hutch before we put new bun in? I want to try to get rid of any possible shedded spores that may be on the wood.

Thank you again!!!

Kerina
xxx

Boiling water and bleach (one part to three). Do all equiptment and toys too. Dispose and replace anything fabric unless you can do a hot wash on it.

Remember to rinse every thing thoroughly and let the hutch dry before rebedding it.

Disinfect all cleaning equiptment (brushes, dust pans etc).

EC is mainly spread through feacal oral contact from urine and droppings. Raising food bowl and hay off the floor means the food is less likely to become contaminanted and further spread the EC spores through ingestion.

INSURE the new rabbit finishes the 9 day course before bonding. Studies have shown this to repel any active spores from taking hold.

Thank you again Sooz!

I have just bought the panacur online so as soon as I get that, i'll start with Smokey.

Will get the hutch cleaned and out disinfected as you have instructed this weekend - I will do the run area on the patio as well with the same solution.

Phew, I feel a little calmer now and more in control of the situation.

Thank you so much

Kerina
xxx

Back