• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Prego again?

Laura32103

New Kit
Hey everyone, i have a question for anyone that wants to help...so my rabbit Lexus had babies on christmas day, i had no clue she was even pregnant, she really didnt show any big signs and i thought the two males in the cage were too small to get her pregnant, i was verrry wrong. Anyway she had the babies and they died, i was heartbroken. She was making grunting sounds Christmas eve and she was making them today so i brought her inside so maybe the babies wouldnt die and we could keep a closer eye on her. Now to the question, is it possible for her to be having babies so soon after the last birth? I know it takes around a month for the gestation period but the grunting makes me think. Please help me out! Thanks!

If the males were still in with her when she gave first then yes she could be pregnant again. They'll be due 4 weeks on so not this quick. Her hormones are probably just confused.

If the males were still in with her when she gave first then yes she could be pregnant again. They'll be due 4 weeks on so not this quick. Her hormones are probably just confused.

ok thank you soo much...we tried to separate them the day it happened but now they jump over so we need to figure out a way to completely seal everything off so they cant get to eachother. i feel like such a bad mom...but shes spoiled when she comes inside hehe.

You definitely need to work out a way to separate them safely. Breeding's a big deal so don't fall in to it accidentally. For example, if the giving birth had gone wrong you could have ended up with her needing an expensive emergency c-section or even dying. With pregnancy you risk losing the mum not just the babies. Even raising a litter successfully you need to find homes for them. The rescue situation is even worse in the states that over here. Rabbits (even babies) are pts every day because there is just not enough places in shelters to take them :(

If the boys are old enough to get her pregnant they are definitely old enough for neutering (fixing). That can be done from 12-16 weeks. Males are fertile from about 10-11 weeks. Two unneutered males are also quite likely to fight as they mature and neutering will help prevent that.

Tamsin

You definitely need to work out a way to separate them safely. Breeding's a big deal so don't fall in to it accidentally. For example, if the giving birth had gone wrong you could have ended up with her needing an expensive emergency c-section or even dying. With pregnancy you risk losing the mum not just the babies. Even raising a litter successfully you need to find homes for them. The rescue situation is even worse in the states that over here. Rabbits (even babies) are pts every day because there is just not enough places in shelters to take them :(

If the boys are old enough to get her pregnant they are definitely old enough for neutering (fixing). That can be done from 12-16 weeks. Males are fertile from about 10-11 weeks. Two unneutered males are also quite likely to fight as they mature and neutering will help prevent that.

Tamsin

I didn't even think about the safety of Lexus, i just thought rabbits pop them out like nothing, but now that you say that it makes me think. Thanks for opening my eyes! The weird thing is she didn't even pull any hair or make a nest, but then again she is a first time mommy. I was just going to take the babies to a pet store but i want my babies to have a good owner. People tend to think rabbits are easy, well i guess they are if you want a rabbit that is scared of their owner, and doesn't have a good life.

You're welcome :) It sounds like you really care about her so enjoy her and try to avoid all the hassle of babies - they grow up quick anyway! There is some more information to consider when thinking about breeding here which might interest you: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/breedingrabbits.asp

The nest building is probably because she's a first time mum or might just be she's not a very good one. It's not uncommon first first litters to die or even worse the mum to kill them. I won't go into the gory details - but not at all pleasant.

Tamsin

You're welcome :) It sounds like you really care about her so enjoy her and try to avoid all the hassle of babies - they grow up quick anyway! There is some more information to consider when thinking about breeding here which might interest you: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/breedingrabbits.asp

The nest building is probably because she's a first time mum or might just be she's not a very good one. It's not uncommon first first litters to die or even worse the mum to kill them. I won't go into the gory details - but not at all pleasant.

Tamsin

That rabbit means more to me then all my friends lol...shes the sweetest rabbit ive ever had...thanks for the site! Yea im not sure if they just died from being cold or what...i went out to feed them and put straw in and there were 7 babies just sprawled throughout the cage :( Definitely the worst Christmas everrr! The male that got her pregnant is such a little punk! i pick him up and he bites me, HARD! He's always been a nibbler but he breaks the skin sometimes, i'm not sure how to deal with that either.

Here is a pic of Lexus that I just took. Look at that big belly....what do you all think??

PICT0015.jpg

Most rabbits look quite podgy lying stretched out ;) At two weeks you'd probably only be able to tell if she's pregnant if you got a vet/experienced breeder to feel her tummy :)

Has the dad always been like that, have you had him since a baby? Or has he got worse recently, how old is he now. Aggressive/territorial behaviour ca be linked with hormones so improves with neutering.

Most rabbits look quite podgy lying stretched out ;) At two weeks you'd probably only be able to tell if she's pregnant if you got a vet/experienced breeder to feel her tummy :)

Has the dad always been like that, have you had him since a baby? Or has he got worse recently, how old is he now. Aggressive/territorial behaviour ca be linked with hormones so improves with neutering.

Hehe u do have a point, i felt her tummy and she usually likes it but she twitched and got real nervous, also it felt hard. Then again i really want her to have babies and for it to be a success so i might just be wanting it so bad im telling myself she has to be haha! I just dont wanna take her anywhere because i dont wanna make her too nervous.

The dad, we got him from the fair, he has like a champion bred dad, pretty aggressive so maybe that could be it, i have no clue. We got him just when he was ready to be taken home. He's always been one to nibble quite a bit but now they arent like playful nibbles, they are full on "i want to hurt you" bites! I probably should get him neutered huh?

Yep, if they're aggressive, painful bites I'd definitely recommend neutering if you want to be friends. Friendship goes better if you don't need armour plating to safely say hello :lol:

If he's aggressive though it would be better if he didn't pass his genes on.

If you got him neutered they could live together - it's lovely watching rabbits play and groom each other.

I called the vet awhile ago and he said itd be like $100 per bunny to neuter. Ill have to save up my money haha I definately want them all to get along and not mate because i think Lexus gets very aggravated when Cam is at her all the time, i also thought thats where the grunting comes from, im glad i have her inside now , i love all of them sooo much. Lexus and my cat Ford get along so well, they are laying together as we speak, its so adorable! Now only if all the rabbits got along that well! Another ?. Do you bathe your rabbits? She stinks like pee BAD! Im scared to put her in the tub and do anything cuz again, stress, and i dont want her to try and jump out and hurt herself! Sorry if im asking too many questions!

No, you shouldn't bath rabbits. They should keep themselves clean. Has the smell developed since she gave birth? It could mean she has an infection.

Where is the smell from, is she wet underneath or have poop stuck to her bum?

She's been outside in the hutch before i brought her in, with the other two. Shes the only one that is dirty like that. I can see on the white parts of her theres like yellow brown sticky hard spots and they spell like pee. Her underneath is fine and she cleans herself constantly. Yes it's gotten worse after her first birth. I took a baby brush and warm water and tried to brush it out but its not working very well, she loves getting brushed though! I thought it was from Cam humping and being on her all the time.

The dirty parts are just on top? Then it's probably the boys, the spray urine over females as part of courtship :shock:

A wet wipe or damp cloth may help and a comb with probably work better than a brush. You should be able to get the smell out but her fur may stay stained until her next moult.

cooking cornstarch will get her clean - just rub it into the fur and work out the dirt with your fingertips.

I think you should get them all spayed/neutered and avoid having babies, unfortunately not all rabbits bought from a petshop are well looked after. If the dad is aggressive it is likely his babies will be aggressive and unfortunately not everyone has the patience to deal with aggressive rabbits and they will get rid of them so you don't know where they will end up. I'd suggest getting your female spayed before the males if money is an issue. Neutering may calm your aggressive boy down too, my male rabbit was a little devil when his hormones kicked in, he's still a bit naughty which adds to his character and can only be held or stroked on his terms but he's a lot lovelier than what he was and lives happily with his girl.

thank you everyone, you're a big help, im going to try the cornstarch thing and try to get all of it out, her smell is really starting to mess with my allergies, thats the reason i have rabbits in the first place, since they dont have so much dander as cats and dogs....atleast thats what my mom says haha but i really appreciate everyones input its cool to see people love rabbits more then i do! everyone around here think of rabbits as stew :cry:

Back