• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog Crate Interior Design!

CRBevis

Mama Doe
:wave:

At the weekend we bought our mini lop, Bunnie a Dog crate 42". Thought even though she is out for 6-8 hours a day she needed a bigger pad to move around in when shut in. We saw Tamsin's post on how to build a second storey but we our too nervous about having a drop as you can put money on it Bunnie would see how she fairs at free falling! We have decided to go for building a wooden shack for her to go at the end of the cage so she has a second level ledge doubling up as a Bunnie time out shack! Was just wondering though what other peoples set ups are with the dog crates and wondered if you would like to show pictures to give us other ideas so Bunnie can have a pad that she deserves, with some kind of second level and lots of floor space!

I don't have a dog crate so can't help with pics I'm afraid. But Bobbin has a wooden house that he so loves to perch on (king of the castle style) so I think your idea of a second level-hideout combo will go down a treat :thumb:

I don't have a dog crate so can't help with pics I'm afraid. But Bobbin has a wooden house that he so loves to perch on (king of the castle style) so I think your idea of a second level-hideout combo will go down a treat :thumb:

She has a small one in her current cage and she always sits on there come dinner time staring at us and in the direction of the clock! You could never not realise the time or forget that it's her food time! :roll: We swear she can tell the time! She's always punctual for breakfast, dinner and supper treat time, on the dot day in day out!:lol:

:wave: i have got a 48" dog crate and have built a shelf - I have a covered cat litter tray in there as well which my little bunny, Nettle, likes to sit on.

newcrate2.jpg

mollyd.gif

crate1-1.jpg

A couple of examples of my crate designs. :-D

Our shed rabbits have this look out box, It used to be in a dog crate when one of them was a single indoors-er, she liked it lots.
shed8.jpg

edit: mind have that wooden hay rack thingy in the living room, though we've lost the insides so can't fill it with hay.

Last edited:
What woods do you all use? Want a light looking wood but obviously one that won't make her poorly if she likes or chews it!

Sorry also what do you use on the crate floor, want to stop using shavings but don't want her to slip and hurt self?

newcrate2.jpg

mollyd.gif

crate1-1.jpg

A couple of examples of my crate designs. :-D

Our shed rabbits have this look out box, It used to be in a dog crate when one of them was a single indoors-er, she liked it lots.
shed8.jpg

edit: mind have that wooden hay rack thingy in the living room, though we've lost the insides so can't fill it with hay.

I like the look of the first pink cage shelfs and the last picture with black cage but how does bun get up there? Do they just jump up and down?

yup, they sleep on the shelves usually, also their hay and water bowl are there. They spend most of their time in the crate on the shelves.

Sorry also what do you use on the crate floor, want to stop using shavings but don't want her to slip and hurt self?

I use carpet, either samples from a shop or at the moment a rug.

As for the wood, I originally used mdf but am not certain if it could cause health problems, I use pine for the joins (the bits they can chew from underneath) and ply wood for the shelf.

Edit: For your last question, yes they just jump up and down. I started with a ramp but he didn't use it and knocked it off so I was worried about it falling on him. They both jump up and down with ease.

Last edited:
Back