• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming?

CRBevis

Mama Doe
Should we worm Bunnie? She is a house bunny and does not get to go outside as no garden and is a mini lop, 2 yrs 5 mths and has never been wormed! She has never been poorly except before xmas with GI Stasis which we believe was due to O/H giving her cauliflower leaves for first time and giving her too much!

I didn't know bunny's can need worming until saw threads on here, and so am looking for advice as to whether she she be wormed and how is it done and how often or is it a one off. She has vets on Wednesday for VHD jab and were going to inquire then!

I wormed my house bunnies last year on my vets advice. My vets actually advised to worm them every 3-6 months but I'm just going to do it about once a year I think.

Ask your vet when you go for the VHD jab.

It's called Panacur and it's a paste. It's used to try and prevent encephalitozoon cuniculi - see here.

I'm guessing it tastes okay to rabbits as ours gladly take it - especially if it's smeared on a nice bit of greens.

You can 'worm' them 2-3 times a year over a shorter period than the 28 days.

It's called Panacur and it's a paste. It's used to try and prevent encephalitozoon cuniculi - see here.

I'm guessing it tastes okay to rabbits as ours gladly take it - especially if it's smeared on a nice bit of greens.

That would be great if it tastes nice as it would be a fight for me and O/H to get her and give it to her! I shall enquire on Wednesday! I suppose only way to find out if she does carry it is a blood test! Shall get some off vet to give to her!

My rabbit died last Saturday of suspected EC and my other rabbit is now on Panacur, so I would urge everyone to worm their rabbits. The guideline on the panacur is 2-4 times a year, and I intend to do it every three months from now on.

My rabbit died last Saturday of suspected EC and my other rabbit is now on Panacur, so I would urge everyone to worm their rabbits. The guideline on the panacur is 2-4 times a year, and I intend to do it every three months from now on.

:cry: aww I sorry. Do your rabbits like the taste of it as Bunnie refuses to be handled and it will be a struggle getting it into her. Still got to be done !

Thanks

I gave it today for the first time, and I tipped him on his back and adminstered it via the syringe it comes in. He seemed to be ok with the taste. I will continue to do this to ensure he gets it all in the correct dosage but I think in future when I do it as a prevention I might try it smeared on a carrot or something

Thanks for the link to the article, it's very interesting reading. The more I read the more convinced I am that this is what Pippa died of :( Now she isn't in the hutch/run the water bottle isn't going down at all by MJ drinking, before I was filling it up every day so she must have been drinking it all. She had also lost loads of weight. If only I'd known I could have treated her, but as the vet says hindsight is a good thing

:cry: aww I sorry. Do your rabbits like the taste of it as Bunnie refuses to be handled and it will be a struggle getting it into her. Still got to be done !

I squirt it onto a tiny piece of spring green leaf and then fold it up and hand feed to each bun. Worked everytime with my lot

Thanks

I gave it today for the first time, and I tipped him on his back and adminstered it via the syringe it comes in. He seemed to be ok with the taste. I will continue to do this to ensure he gets it all in the correct dosage but I think in future when I do it as a prevention I might try it smeared on a carrot or something

There's no chance of doing that with Bunnie! Obviously will aske vet and he will advise, but how often do you have to give it to them a day and is it every day for 28 days?

I squirt it onto a tiny piece of spring green leaf and then fold it up and hand feed to each bun. Worked everytime with my lot

Well as long as it tastes better than Fibreplex we may be able to do that with Bunnie rather than grabbing her and forcing her to take it!

Once a day for 28 days is the usual prescription for a bunny thought to have active EC (tho some now think it should be given for longer than 28 days).

Precautionary dose is once a day for 9 days. The syringe is graduated so you'll need to know how much your bunny weighs to be able to give correct dose. As RavinRabbit said, putting it on something yummy like spring greens is by FAR the easiest way to administer!

The preventative dose is 9 days and the manufacturers recommend treatment 3-4 times a year.

I have disscussed this at lenght with my vets and we are of the opinion this is excessive scare mongering. Annually and at times of high risk such as prior to bonding, boarding or contact with other rabbits is perfectly acceptable.

A rabbit with suspected active EC used to be reccomended a 28 day course. New studies suggest due to the cyclical shedding of the EC spores this is insufficient to eradicate the parasite and it should be administered for 6 weeks instead.

Over this period the 10% oral solution works out cheaper and this is a dose rate of 0.2ml per kg body weight.

All doses are once daily. The Panacur rabbit paste contains 18 garduations and is given at a dose rate of one graduation per 2.5kg rabbit. So one tube will do two average sized bunnies.

Im afraid it does not taste that good, my rabbits find Fiberplex infinately preferable!

The preventative dose is 9 days and the manufacturers recommend treatment 3-4 times a year.

I have disscussed this at lenght with my vets and we are of the opinion this is excessive scare mongering. Annually and at times of high risk such as prior to bonding, boarding or contact with other rabbits is perfectly acceptable.

A rabbit with suspected active EC used to be reccomended a 28 day course. New studies suggest due to the cyclical shedding of the EC spores this is insufficient to eradicate the parasite and it should be administered for 6 weeks instead.

Over this period the 10% oral solution works out cheaper and this is a dose rate of 0.2ml per kg body weight.

All doses are once daily. The Panacur rabbit paste contains 18 garduations and is given at a dose rate of one graduation per 2.5kg rabbit. So one tube will do two average sized bunnies.

Im afraid it does not taste that good, my rabbits find Fiberplex infinately preferable!

Bunnie is on her own and weighs 2.2kg last time we were at vets but obviously he will weigh her again! Well once a day for 9 days hopefully in a spring green burito should hopefully go down well! Bunnie hated the fibreplex we only managed to fool her once with it in a spring green leaf! Bunnie going to have a long vet check! Got to have VHD, want him to check her tummy still ok and need him to look at her back to check 2 patch's of hopefully baytril burn sites to see if it is that and if they are healing ok! She gonna love us!

Our new bun had her first dose of Panacur tonight rubbed into a bit of spring green and scoffed it down without a care.

Barney ate his panacur paste on a couple of Rosewood carrot biscuits/treats every day like it was pate or something so maybe try that? He seemed to love it!

Yes, all three of our buns seem to like it. Ant used to lick it off the syringe but prefers it even more when smeared over some nice greens :D

I've just been reading that EC info and I think that's what my Honey bunny died from :? He was having alot of teeth problems and having to have this teeth burred every month.

We thought at the time his rapid decline was due to the teeth problems but after reading through the symptoms it sounds like it was EC. The vets never mentioned any other problem.

I didn't know half of what I know now and was probably a very ignorant rabbit owner. I wish I could have done more for him :(

I've just been reading that EC info and I think that's what my Honey bunny died from :? He was having alot of teeth problems and having to have this teeth burred every month.

We thought at the time his rapid decline was due to the teeth problems but after reading through the symptoms it sounds like it was EC. The vets never mentioned any other problem.

I didn't know half of what I know now and was probably a very ignorant rabbit owner. I wish I could have done more for him :(

What were his symptoms?

Your not ignorant, you would be amazed how many people do not know about worming rabbits. Its one of the most frequently questioned topics on this forum.

The important thing is you do now :)

Back