• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carrots bad?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
I have read that carrots are high in sugar and should only be given as a treat.

My bunnies get about 6 or seven coin sized pieces of carrot every day, so I take it this is really bad for them even though they are ok. Is three pieces a day ok?

Our Bunniedog only has 2 50p coin sized pieces twice a week! She used to have a small piece of banana everynight but we stopped this to see if that was why her poos bit soft everynow and then! It has solved the problem because banana very high in sugar!

Well mine get a small carrot between them every day. I usually use it as a bribe to get them in before I go to work and to get them in at night!

Carrots are high in sugar but as long as you don't over feed, your rabbits should be fine. I think it's more of a problem if your rabbit is prone to tummy troubles/runny poos/being fat!

Well they havent had any problems so far with their tummies.
I'll cut them down to just a couple of pieces a day, they probably wouldnt talk to me if I stopped altogether :lol:

Thanks guys

Carrots are high in sugar. I only give mine an inch piece each once or twice a week.

I don't think corn is very good for them either, I never feed it

Mine have about 5 slices or so every day. I think if your buns are outdoors and/or active, I don't think it's a problem. Again it's probably more of an issue for those buns that have tummy troubles.

The last time mine had corn on the cob I read on the forum that it's difficult for them to digest the outer part of the corn and can cause problems. The next day one of my buns startd with tummy trouble, which I can only put down to the corn, as it had never happened before and (crossing fingers) hasn't happened since, so I don't give them any now.

mine have a couple of inches of carrot a day. corn on the cob is indigestible and can block up their guts, plus it's high sugar too.

My two have maybe 4 thin slices of carrot to share a day every day, every other week or so :lol: I try to give them only small amounts because it's better giving them other veggies which are not highin sugar and have more fiber in them :D

Last edited:
i didn't realise about the corn on the cob - Nala loves it and doesn't seem to have had any trouble with it but I will watch out for it. Are the baby corns ok?

Back