• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help madisons bum!

maddie

New Kit
My bunny madison has recently started getting poo blocking her bum. It happened a few months ago and after cleaning it all up i thought she had a lot of white discharge. I took her to the vets and he took swabs and said that it was a normal discharge, but its happening a lot more now and she is getting kind of sore down below, got fuciderm cream from the vets the last time which helps for a wee while but feel so sorry for her she just lies there with no dignity getting her bum washed but not enjoying it. Feel kind of silly going back to vets because she looks ok when she does go to the vets. Hope someone can help.:(

Buns who get a mucky Bum often have underlying problems. These may be an incorrect diet (too much protien/carbohydrate and not enough fibre). What is your Buns diet like?

Dental problems also mean a Bun may pass unformed caecotrophs ( the soft poo they are meant to eat) and the Bun cant clean the squished caecotrophs properly.

Arthritis of the spine means a Bun cant get to their Bum to eat their caecotrophs.

Obesity also makes eating caecotrophs difficult.

I'd start by looking at what you feed your Bun. A Rabbits diet should be 80% hay, minimal pellet feed and a variety of Veg ( Carrots and fruit about once a week as they have a high sugar content which is not good for a Buns guts)

Janex

thanks jane,

I think it could be her diet,ive never had a rabbit before and looking at some of the info on the forums, i think i have to change her diet, she is a bit overweight although the vet didnt seem too concerned, her teeth are fine she had them done not long ago, she has been getting hay but i dindnt realise they needed so much she tends to use it more for bedding than eating and she has been getting plenty veg and mueslie which i think ill have to change to pellets is that right apart fromthat shes got healthy coat and eyes and shes just gorgeous xxx

Anymore advice would be grateful, i feel kind of stupid, i never realised they were so loveable and fun.:)

thanks jane,

I think it could be her diet,ive never had a rabbit before and looking at some of the info on the forums, i think i have to change her diet, she is a bit overweight although the vet didnt seem too concerned, her teeth are fine she had them done not long ago, she has been getting hay but i dindnt realise they needed so much she tends to use it more for bedding than eating and she has been getting plenty veg and mueslie which i think ill have to change to pellets is that right apart fromthat shes got healthy coat and eyes and shes just gorgeous xxx

Anymore advice would be grateful, i feel kind of stupid, i never realised they were so loveable and fun.:)

Our Mini lop Bunnie use to get messy bum alot! We had to grab her every now and then to carefully cut mess out and clean which was stressfull for all of us! As far as we were concerned and the vet she was not overweight! Just b4 xmas she got poorly with GI Stasis, and lost weight, shes now recovered. We reduced her pellets and changed the time we fed her as use to be pellet tea time and veg at night! She now has small amount of pellet for breaky and at 5pm a spring green leaf, 2 finger size pieces of celery and 3 fine trimed beans with a little amount of pellet and to get her in at night a small piece of spring green! At hay available at all times although she not a great hay eater! Her bum now doesn't get messy and if it does she is now able to bite out any tangles herself because of the weight she lost! We all alot happier!

Squidgy had these problems when he first arrived with us, and it was his diet that was the problem. I'm constantly grateful that I found this forum, as I have changed so many things since then to improve the care I give my bunnies.
My buns all have Allen and Page pellets, but only a very small portion each day. They have hay in boxes and hayracks all over their enclosures to encourage them to munch on it wherever they are. They have a leaf of greens, a sprout and a carrot+top each day, which is a good routine for them, and keeps them all at a good weight. It's been a lot of trial and error to find out the best diet.

Back