• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question about lop breeds

nina83

Warren Scout
Right i've been told that my bunnies are either english lops or dwarf lops but when i told our regular vets he laughed and said theres no way my rabbits are dwarves but their ears and face dont seem to be the right shape for english lop. Theyre both 2.8kgs and about 1.5foot long when stretched out. Theyre cage is about 3foot long
P2230008.jpg

P2240025.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa93/nineenababes/bunnies/P2230021.jpg
P2240030.jpg

I'm defo no expert but they look like dwarf lops to me - esp the harlequin one. My Jamie, who is a dwarf lop, weighs over 3kgs and he's a dwarf lop - they come in a variety of different sizes. Dwarf doesn't mean anything with this breed =] xx

I have a young lop who does not seem to grow very much, and I am not sure what he is, either. All my other lops and uppy eared bunnies are cross breeds, maybe yours are, too.
They are definitely not English lops.

Well thanks for clearing that up i thought they were dwarves which is quite funny considering theyre HUGE they chase the cats it's hilarious

Actually mini-lops are smaller than dwarf lops, so yours are probably dwarfs. I wish vets would learn the basics of rabbit breeds, I'm sure they do with dogs.

If you go to the brc website they have a guide to all the breeds.

i dont mind what breed they are coz i still love them the same i just wanted to clarify that dwarf didnt mean small lol. Our local pet shop has a giant house rabbit lop thats the same size as our 2 and i really wan to take it home coz i HATE seeing them on display like that where kids can taunt them and scare them poor bunny :(

Dwarf lops can be big. My Barney is quite big and very lllloooooooooong when lying out (about 2 foot I think). Could be a dwarf lop cross but like loobie_lou said, they do come in an array of shapes sizes and colours.

Actually mini-lops are smaller than dwarf lops, so yours are probably dwarfs. I wish vets would learn the basics of rabbit breeds, I'm sure they do with dogs.

If you go to the brc website they have a guide to all the breeds.

I went to the surgery the other week and someone had loaded a clients lionhead on the database as an 'exotic longhaired cross lop' :shock::shock:
It was def the nurse (there have been a few locums there lately) who did it as I boarded him this week (reason I was looking him up) and his owner most certainly knew he was a lionhead!

They could may well be mix breeds.
In the Norwegian standard dwarf lops aren't supposed to be over 2 kgs but my friend has one who was 3:lol: (We don't have mini lop in Norway, only dwarf (1-2 kg) and german (3kg + not sure what the top is) and the french and english.
Lop rabbits are very popular, so you get them in all shapes and sizes:lol: Even supposedly "purebred" ones:roll:

My vet told me that 'dwarf' with a lop was a misnomer as usually it meant the ears rather than the rabbit. Lop ears usually touch - at least - the floor and a dwarf lop's ears don't. Whereas a mini-lop was to do with the size of the rabbit and you could have a mini-lop with long ears, but he wasn't sure he'd ever seen one.

They are definitely the right size for dwarf lops :D

They are almost certainly crossbreeds tho', because they don't have the stance and body shape of a proper dwarf lop.

Pedigree dwarf lops have a squished in nose and a miserable expression. They also tend to sit in an upright position, and sometimes have a little 'skirt' of flesh around their bottom so they look like a hovercraft :lol:

Amy

They are definitely the right size for dwarf lops :D

They are almost certainly crossbreeds tho', because they don't have the stance and body shape of a proper dwarf lop.

Pedigree dwarf lops have a squished in nose and a miserable expression. They also tend to sit in an upright position, and sometimes have a little 'skirt' of flesh around their bottom so they look like a hovercraft :lol:

Amy

:lol::lol::lol: I like that description.

Let's just say your bunnies are cute and gorgeous lops, Nina. :D

They are an acceptable size for 'Dwarf Lops', the name is misleading, they actually grow to be average sized rabbits....mini lops are the tiny ones!

However they may well be cross breeds, the head shape is not what I would expect to see on a pure breed Dwarf Lop. They tend to look sort of 'squashed'.

My vet told me that 'dwarf' with a lop was a misnomer as usually it meant the ears rather than the rabbit. Lop ears usually touch - at least - the floor and a dwarf lop's ears don't. Whereas a mini-lop was to do with the size of the rabbit and you could have a mini-lop with long ears, but he wasn't sure he'd ever seen one.

"Dwarf" in fact refers to the comparison to the much bigger French Lop. Compared to a French Lop, the Dwarf Lop is indeed a dwarf. Compared to smaller breeds, the Dwarf Lop is not a dwarf... :rolleyes:

They are definitely not English Lops as their ears are much bigger and the head shape different.

Vera

Kitt is down on the vets system as a dwarf lop... he is definately not a dwarf lop. He weighs under 2kg and he has the face of a typical dwarf lop... ickle and cute =] hehe

Kitt is down on the vets system as a dwarf lop... he is definately not a dwarf lop. He weighs under 2kg and he has the face of a typical dwarf lop... ickle and cute =] hehe

I thought Kitt was a mini-lop? Fiver in my siggy is, Lexie is a Dwarf as is Pippa and Scout is just a random cross breed lop :rolleyes:

Back