• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ignorant rabbit owners- how do you cope with them?

Sarah86

Mama Doe
I was recently at a get together with my o/hs family and some of their friends and a conversation about rabbits came up. It was about why one of the other couples rabbits had died, the bloke thought it was funny which is why he brought it up. I knew I wasn't going to like it, apparently there were 2 males living together who started fighting, they at least got them neutered but then went on to say that he was really fat and greedy ( I was already biting my lip at this point) he had to be bathed to clean his bum because he was unable to do it himself. He was left in the bathroom on his own to dry off and was found dead stuck behind the toilet. I was absolutely fuming and left to go to the bathroom where I actually cried. My o/h's mum knew it bothered me so I stayed in the kitchen with her for a while to sort the desserts out until the conversation had changed and I'd calmed down a bit.

Have you ever been in a similar situation, what did you do? If we weren't all sat around the table together I would've said something about it but didn't want to cause a fight.

Last edited:
:cry: Some people are SO evil!! My Gran started on my birthday, the day after I'd had some horrible news about one of my buns...P!sses me off so much. Similarly, a girl commented last year - "You cant have an agressive rabbit - its a rabbit?!" :roll: Its so hard when you love yours so much, Hugs x

Yes I've was in a situation like that on New Years Eve, the person that was making the cruel joke was my 13 year old nephew!

I wiped the floor with him then went into the kitchen and burst into tears:cry:

I hate it when people make fun :evil:

I think you handled it very well by the way, I doubt I'd of managed to keep my mouth shut.

I think peole think your a bit simple if you are an adult and have rabbits its as if you are wierd for housing them in a playhouse or for wanting to do your best for them. Peple say how many rabbits have you got and when you reply they do this wierd laugh that makes out your stuipd.

I try to ignore them, to be honest I don't talk about my rabbits a lot anymore as I don't want to listen to the comments people make!

Although we got onto talking about our pets after horse riding one day, and it came to it that someone else had a couple of rabbit living in a shed :D it was a welcome change :D

Hannah

How many times do you get the comment "aren't you too old to have rabbits?"
I usually reply, 'oh sorry, I didn't realised they came packaged in a box with age restrictions'. They are still so much thought as children's toys, which annoys me!

As soon as I found out they had two and one had died I decided not to bring up any rabbit conversations because I was convinced theirs wouldn't be looked after very well and I'd just get angry, unfortunately her o/h thought it was funny and had to share the story- :censored:!

I know exactly what you mean. EVeryone at works thinks i am a joke cause i spoil my rabbits. Tey if a bloke plays sunday afternoon football its ok!

My boyfriend is worse than me with the rabbits so he often sticks up for me which is nice.
If i had a quid for everything someone said 'they would taste nice in rabbit stew' i would be a made of money!

best not think about the other rabbit cause then you wont get upset, or suggest that you think they should give the rabbit to you to look after properly, (thats what i did when my brothers ex wasnt looking after hers properly)

There are a couple of people at my work that I know find it funny me keeping a rabbit. They are not cruel as such, but it is the way in whcih they ask about him that I find patronising :?

People have joked about calling him Stew and Cassarole, which I admit are funny names if you name your own rabbit that which you love dearly. But being a vegetarian and a rabbit keeper I do not see the humor when names like that are suggested.

I'm not sure what I would do though if I found myself in a situation where someone was laughing at the plight of their own pet.... I fear I would let them know my true thoughts :rolleyes: You did well to keep your nerve.

I've only had to bite my lip once. One of my friends at work who had a rabbit was telling me about how in the winter she'd been down to see him and the bottoms of his ears (it was a lop) were covered in ice. :-(

It later got killed by a fox and she has ducks now.

I only fear how I would've reacted with a few more glasses of wine down my neck. Thankfully it will be at least another year since we see them again, thats if they turn up, they never came last year :rolleyes:.

everyone at my work thinks im crackers as im always speaking about the buns and what ive bought for them etc....but i like animals and i spose they are my "vice" - while they are spending their money on goingout and getting pi**ed or whateverelse, im spening money on them!
I know someone at work who also has a bun and from speaking to her i think her bun gets the "basics" everyday but not much loving and i do try to impress upon her that thye like lots of attention not just food and water everyday.

It winds me up so much as well! My aunt laughed when some kid drowned a rabbit by accident giving her a bath!:cry: I've had plenty of jokes about rabbit stew, but I don't raise to the bait anymore, as thats what the prats want, a reaction.:evil:

If I'm honest most of the ignorant owners I have come across have been on forums, as thankfully all my friends realise how much my buns mean to me and think they are funny rather than boring. :D

I used to just laugh off rabbit pie jokes but they're just boring so I just tell people who've cracked a few that its not funny

Thankfully, I've never come across a bad one. I've been called weird for treating my bunnies as more than pets, but thats it. Like, one time, I was invited out, but I wanted to stay in and look after Biscuit, coz she's had her tear ducts flushed. You'd stay with ya kids if they'd had oat like that done, so why not stay with something you love as much.

My family (mainly my Grandma) makes jokes about bunny stew. My Grandma keeps joking that she'll bring the pot, and show me how to make rabbit curry with Nibbles as she's just the right size for the pot. She even playfully bought my mum a "Nibbles sized" casserole dish. I know she wouldn't do anything like that really. She loves my bunnies, especially Nibbles

Some people are so ignorant and so rude:evil:
I really could not have bitten my tongue:oops:When it comes to animals i can never bite my tongue but anything else i let it go straight over my head:D

We had a new person start at my work, he knew I had rabbits and that I don't eat meat but then he asked "so....do you eat rabbit?" I glared at him, said "why would you ask me such a STUPID question?" he said sorry and hasen't mentioned them since.
I can be quite snotty with people if they are deliberatly (sp?) trying to wind me up.

The other people at work make some comments but don't do it nastily and like to hear about them.

My family are supportive and love them like me but friends don't quite get why I want to be home for a certain time to see them. :roll:

I've had alot of sarky comments about the size of Meg and Bens hutch.

Think alot of people expect rabbits to be in a 2ft hutch and the end of the garden.

They thought i was completely nuts when i explained what the snugglesafe was :roll:

I really dont see why you'd have to bite your tongue with an ignorant tw*t who thinks it's funny to let an animal be unhappy and die neglected :censored: I know I would bite mine if werent someone I knew particularly (being English n all ;)) but anyone I knew would get an earful.

I doubt it would make any difference to say what you think of such unkindness and heartlessness, but you never know :(

We moved house in July and the removal men started making jokes about rabbit stew (like I'd never heard those jokes before :rolleyes:).

I went mad at him, told him he was being paid to move my furniture not to crack unfunny jokes about my beloved pets.

He went bright red and shut up then :D

Back