• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blackeye died in my arms yesterday

kerina

Warren Scout
Oh god, this hurts.

Yesterday morning, I went to let Blackeye out of his hutch/run so he could have his usual run around. He didn't come out of the hutch, which although unusual is not unheard of. I just left him to it.

Then about 20 minutes later, whilst washing up, I saw him :cry:

He had come out of the hutch, into the run and seemed to be drunk. He couldn't hop properly and kept falling over. :cry:

I rushed out to him and picked him up. He felt all limp and quite cold. :cry:

I took him inside and held him in my arms, like a baby (his favourite way of being held). I knew this was goodbye, but still don't know why it has happened. :cry:

OH called the emergency vets, because he was obviously suffering and I wanted to end his pain and confusion. :cry:

But whilst OH was outside defrosting the car, Blackeye started to have fits, his eyes wide open and so scared. This went on for about 30 seconds. :cry:

Then :cry: oh god :cry: he started to scream :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have never heard a more terrible sound in my life and will never forget it. :cry:

He screamed with every outward breath, until they faded and got quieter. He was still breathing at this point. Just. :cry: :cry:

I thought he had gone, but we went to the vets anyway - by the time we got there (5 mins drive), he was definitely gone. :cry: :cry:

My wonderful vet didn't charge me for the call out, just for his cremation.

I am now sat at work feeling empty and hollow, slightly sick and absolutely devastated that my beautiful boy has gone. He was the most amazing rabbit - we never knew how old he was so we used to laugh and say that he was "the ageless bun".

I just can't believe that he will never sit in my cat's basket again, he will never nick bird seed out the tub again, he will never lay on the floor beside me again

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks for listening

Yours heartbrokenly

Kerina
xxx

Kerina I'm so sorry, what a horrible experience.

The only comfort I can give is that one of my friends used to have fits and even though she would scream, etc, she used to say that she couldn't remember what had happened, it was just a blank.

Lots of hugs and binky free Blackeye

FC xx

Last edited:
Thanks Frisky.

I feel like i've let him down, like there should have been something I could have done to save him.

Does anyone have any idea what he might of died from?

OH and I thought maybe a stroke or a heart attack?

I am only thankful it was all quite sudden. It was a matter of only 45 mins from me getting him inside to him leaving us.

Will I ever be the same again??

Sorry for your loss :cry:

Rabbits often have fits and/or scream before they die. It's very upsetting, but hopefully they aren't aware of what's happening :(

Hugs to you

Amy

I am so so sorry for your loss, what a heart wrenching thing to have been through. :-(

Oh gosh, what an awful thing to experience. I actually think I might cry! :cry:
I'm so sorry for your loss! :cry:
Sending you hugs
Lauren & Tomee
xx

oh i am so very sorry big big hugs for you all and i hope blackeye is binkying free to his hearts content. xxxx

Sorry to hear about your loss of Blackeye. I am sure it will get easier with time, it did for me. I lost my 7 year old houserabbit last May who died of a fit 5 minutes after coming back from the vets. After lots of tears, over a few weeks I gradually started to be able to think about him without crying all the time. My other bunnies helped me a lot to get over it, maybe when you are ready a new bunny could be the way to help you too?

Back