• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Prince and Melanie are better. :)

toffee

Mama Doe
Well, Thursday night we had poo from Melanie and, after another vet visit on Friday Lunch time, we had poo from Prince on Friday night. :D

Phew!!

Saturday morning they were eating breakfast as normal. :D

We're going to the vet on wednesday and he's going to do bloods to try to find out what's caused this. Prince is still showing strange symptoms of droopy eyes and Melanie has developed more bald patches. I guess we'll have to see on Wednesday now.

I'm just so glad they're both eating and pooing!! It's bad enough dealing with 1 bun in stasis but I've had to nurse 2 and they were sick for 3 days. Normally when I've had a bun in stasis it's been resolved in 24hrs. This was a toughy!!

Glad they are feeling better. I hope the bloods show something conclusive.

He's testing for EC to start with. If this is +ve we will treat all 8 rabbits. To be honest, I'd have thought that Prince's drooping eyelids could be associated with neurological damage as a result of EC?

If it's not EC we will have to have a rethink - but I just can't think what else it could be? And I don't know how EC would explain Melanie's bald patches?

He's testing for EC to start with. If this is +ve we will treat all 8 rabbits. To be honest, I'd have thought that Prince's drooping eyelids could be associated with neurological damage as a result of EC?

If it's not EC we will have to have a rethink - but I just can't think what else it could be? And I don't know how EC would explain Melanie's bald patches?

Are her bald patches all within her own grooming reach?

No, She has a bald patch the size of a 2p piece behind each ear where she can't reach and another on the inside of her left back leg - which she does groom frequently. The one on her leg is clean pink skin, the ones behind her ears are dark and a bit scaly - I don't suppose they have any glands or similar there? it's pretty symmetrical?

My vet looked at her bald patches and didn't mention it. He took a skin cell sample on a bit of sellotape but couldn't see any parasites under the microscope.

The ones behind her ears are roughly circular, the one on her leg is an oblong.

I have absolutely no idea what theis is. i guess they must both have the same thing or else why would they have gone in stasis at the same time?

What could cause bald patches, droopy eyelids and stasis?

Fab. I will suggest this to the vet on wednesday.

Are there any conditions which cause stasis, baldness and drooping eyelids??

Jane - they have all been VHD and Myxi vaccinated. Last VHD vac for Melanie was october, Prince was April.

Could Myxi cause fur loss? They're both vaccinated but the vet thought Prince's eyelids were a little inflamed. Or is there a skin condition that could cause fur loss and inflammation of the eyelids?

Back