PDA

View Full Version : Prince and Melanie are better. :)

toffee
07-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Well, Thursday night we had poo from Melanie and, after another vet visit on Friday Lunch time, we had poo from Prince on Friday night. :D

Phew!!

Saturday morning they were eating breakfast as normal. :D

We're going to the vet on wednesday and he's going to do bloods to try to find out what's caused this. Prince is still showing strange symptoms of droopy eyes and Melanie has developed more bald patches. I guess we'll have to see on Wednesday now.

I'm just so glad they're both eating and pooing!! It's bad enough dealing with 1 bun in stasis but I've had to nurse 2 and they were sick for 3 days. Normally when I've had a bun in stasis it's been resolved in 24hrs. This was a toughy!!

March Hare
07-01-2008, 10:49 AM
I am SO pleased to hear that your buns are feeling better now!!! :D :D Stasis is SOOOOO scarey!!! :cry: :cry:

Sooz
07-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Glad they are feeling better. I hope the bloods show something conclusive.

Maizy
07-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Excellent news, so glad they are on the mend!:D

toffee
07-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Glad they are feeling better. I hope the bloods show something conclusive.

He's testing for EC to start with. If this is +ve we will treat all 8 rabbits. To be honest, I'd have thought that Prince's drooping eyelids could be associated with neurological damage as a result of EC?

If it's not EC we will have to have a rethink - but I just can't think what else it could be? And I don't know how EC would explain Melanie's bald patches?

Sooz
07-01-2008, 02:31 PM
He's testing for EC to start with. If this is +ve we will treat all 8 rabbits. To be honest, I'd have thought that Prince's drooping eyelids could be associated with neurological damage as a result of EC?

If it's not EC we will have to have a rethink - but I just can't think what else it could be? And I don't know how EC would explain Melanie's bald patches?

Are her bald patches all within her own grooming reach?

toffee
07-01-2008, 02:33 PM
No, She has a bald patch the size of a 2p piece behind each ear where she can't reach and another on the inside of her left back leg - which she does groom frequently. The one on her leg is clean pink skin, the ones behind her ears are dark and a bit scaly - I don't suppose they have any glands or similar there? it's pretty symmetrical?

Sooz
07-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Its not ring worm is it?

toffee
07-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Not sure, how do they test for that?

Sooz
07-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Not sure, how do they test for that?

I would think a skin scraping but its usually pretty identifiable on sight. Its also contagious to toher animals and people :roll:

toffee
07-01-2008, 02:56 PM
My vet looked at her bald patches and didn't mention it. He took a skin cell sample on a bit of sellotape but couldn't see any parasites under the microscope.

toffee
07-01-2008, 02:56 PM
What does ringworm look like?

Sooz
07-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Small circular bald patches.

toffee
07-01-2008, 03:00 PM
The ones behind her ears are roughly circular, the one on her leg is an oblong.

I have absolutely no idea what theis is. i guess they must both have the same thing or else why would they have gone in stasis at the same time?

What could cause bald patches, droopy eyelids and stasis?

toffee
07-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Prince does not have bald patches.

Jack's-Jane
07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Ringworm is a fungus which will show up as fluorescent green under a special lamp (Woods Lamp) :D

Janex

Jack's-Jane
07-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Prince does not have bald patches.

Have Prince and Melanie had a VHD Vaccine in the last couple of months?

Janex

toffee
07-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Fab. I will suggest this to the vet on wednesday.

Are there any conditions which cause stasis, baldness and drooping eyelids??

Jane - they have all been VHD and Myxi vaccinated. Last VHD vac for Melanie was october, Prince was April.

toffee
07-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Could Myxi cause fur loss? They're both vaccinated but the vet thought Prince's eyelids were a little inflamed. Or is there a skin condition that could cause fur loss and inflammation of the eyelids?

Sooz
07-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Ringworm is a fungus which will show up as fluorescent green under a special lamp (Woods Lamp) :D

Janex

Ooo you learn something new everyday :D