• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Right food??

jackiestone

Warren Veteran
could you please tell me what is the best rabbit food to feed our bunnies on and roughly how much fresh veg should each bunny be given daily?

thanks

jackie

The most important food for bunny is HAY and LOTS of it. Hay should be the main part of their diet and always available.

We feed a small amount of Supreme Science Selective which is an extruded food, so all the pellets are the same, preventing bunny from only eating the bits it likes! A small handful per bunny per day is plenty and encourages more hay eating! There are other extruded foods available and to some extent it depends on what your bunny likes (although none of mine have ever turned their noses up at SS!)

In terms of veg, introduce it slowly so that if something upsets bunny's tum then you know what it is. There is a list of "safe" veg here http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/safefoods.htm

Hope that helps - good luck! :D

The autumn 07 Rabbiting On said this from one of its vets:

* a rabbit's diet should be 70% hay, 28% veg and 2% pellets
* one tablespoon of pellets max per day for rabbits under 3.5kg and two max for rabbits over 3.5kg.

I'm not sure about the % thing because I dont think it would stack up if you did it by weight. Maybe % by volume would work better. But the basic principle is a pyramid with a SMALL amount of pellets on top, then SOME veg, then lots of hay.

Muppet has Science Selective too - I did weigh out a tablespoon's worth and it was about 15g. SS, as well as being extruded, is high fibre which is another thing to look out for in a rabbit food.

If you were feeding only hay and veg (no pellets), then I believe it's a pile of veg about the same size as the rabbit.

What Muppet actually gets (he weighs about 3lb or 1.7kg) is 10g of SS and a bowlful of veg morning and evening. This seems to work out OK for him, his weight is stable and his poo is healthy :) And he eats timothy hay like he's been starved!

Back