• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG more rabbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmo

Mama Doe
i checked in on one of the rabbits the other day and i found a nest full of babies, and for once it aint my fault. ive been trying to get rid of some of my animals and the my sister goes and does this.
oh well its their problem, i got to go back up to uni next week. sounds harsh but shes the one causing the problems, she can deal with it.

how can you say that? "It's not my problem?" I don't know your situation but that's not good if you care about animals.

Oh dear. As you aren't at home any more and your sister clearly can't be trusted with them, would you consider at least neutering, or rehoming them so that this can't happen again? Many rescues will run waiting lists and may be able to take them one at a time even if they can't take them now - although they would expect you not to take any more on! You may not feel that it's your problem (although to be honest, if they're your animals, I do think it is your problem), but ultimately if you don't act, the animals are the ones which will suffer - it's not their fault.

i have been try to get rid of some of my animals because i have too many and i was finding it hard to cope with them when i was at home, now im not their they are not getting the attention they need. my rats were last cleaned out in mid october when i came home for a weekend.
i spent all of last summer trying to improve on the care of my rabbits by attempting to get them bigger hutches and improving their diets. i then come home to find that my sister has done her own thing. she refuses to feed the rabbits pellets because she said they are boring and the rabbits dont like them (they seemed happy to eat them before i left) and so she buys them really cheep crappy mixes. what makes it worse is she has OCD and refuses to rehome ANY of the rabbits. she had a massive argument with one of my friends because my friend said she knew someone who wanted some rabbits and asked if there were any we wanted to get rid of. we are probably going to end up keeping all of these babies.
i have put so much time and money into my animals and my sister has just messed it right up.

Couldn't you move the rabbits away from your sister's care? And rehome all the rabbits you can't truthfully take care of.

I agree that if this is the situation you do need to consider rehoming of these animals.... your poor rats not getting cleaned out for so long..... :shock:

Can I ask why you got them all on the first place or has it been a case of a change of circumstances?

Gizmo, who actually owns your animals? You? Your sister? Or Jointly? What do your parents say about the lack of care they are receiving?
If they are solely yours, I would ring round every rescue you can think of and ask if they will take them in along with the nice roomy hutches and stuff you have bought for them :D
Im sure your sister will get over it eventually. You really shouldn't leave your animals to be neglected just for the sake of your sister, sorry if that sounds harsh but you have to put these animals first.
If your rats have not been cleaned out since October I really think you need to contact a rescue who can take them on.

I really hope you can get something sorted :D

gizmo's post history should answer all your questions - but it does make for depressing reading.

rats not getting cleaned out for that long must have STANK!

the poor animals, you decided to leave home to go to uni so you should have responsibly found good care for them. in the long run it is your problem and if you dont sort it out i can only see it getting worse

i looked after my friends Rats whilst she was on holiday and i cleaned them out every other day and they still stank,so i dont even want to imagine how bad the smell was after 2 months.Rats are very intelligent arent they?poor things :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back