• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i....shouldnt i????

kelzuna

Warren Scout
I have always wanted a girlfriend for Liquorice but i just cant make my mind up. Both me and my hubby2b would love another bunny but:

1) Liquorice is 9months old and isnt really that socialable with us (would this be different with another bunny? He sits with us in same room and is very comfortable but doesnt like to be handled and will only tolerate being stroked for small amount of time. Im worried he will become territorial? He has been alone for this long - is it too late to bond?

2) I have a single hutch at mo but this is enclosed in a pen also which gives him lots of space http://www.kennelshop.co.uk/products.php?action=viewproduct&productid=135 - would this be adequate for 2??? the pen isnt 'closed' in circle as on this pic (its up against the wall so that frees up more space) - what would you reccommend? I dont have that much room to spare. The buns would only be in here when we go to bed and work - Liquorice has free roam whenever we are home.

3) We are getting married in July and hope to start a family - i was thinking another bunny would be good for liquorice as he wont get as much attention when a baby comes - what do u think?

Last edited:
tough one....

Alvin is 8 months and will be coming home with a wife, i dont think age really makes them forget that they are rabbits.

id say its more the money situation than anything, if your planning a baby could you afford two rabbits and a baby (maybe its just me who spends a fortune on the pets)..

i havent seen what loved up rabbits are like yet, but i hear its a beautiful sight and the guilt of a lonely bunny would vanish too... good luck with deciding i hate making important decisions lol

Aw - Liquorice is absolutely gorgeous :love::love::love::love::love:

We have three house buns at the moment and luckily bonding was fairly straight forward (used the kitchen) and it is so lovely to see them snuggled up together. It is good to know they have each other when we are out the house. I don't see a problem with your hutch/pen set up so maybe go for it!

Just be ready for the increase in poo/mess/potential damage!!!!!!!

would i need entirely new hutch etc as these are liquorices? does it have to neutral ground all the time or just while they are being bonded???

Hi - we used the kitchen as a neutral bonding area. They spent nearly all day in there then when my daughter came home from school we moved them into the outdoor run and then into the conservatory which was Herbie's patch and contained 'his' cage and toys.

I guess we may have been very lucky but there were no probs when they moved into the conservatory. I would think you would have to thoroughly clean out Liqourice's hutch to try to reduce the territorial factor. Maybe if the buns were bonded elsewhere (a rescue for example) and then returned home together there may be less of a potential problem.

Until you try tho you can never tell how the bonding will turn out.

Hopefully more experienced people than me can advise!

I say yes! If you can afford the extra mouth to feed and support, go for it :D

Ive bonded buns of all ages from youngsters to oldies successfully!
The neutral territory is only needed whilst bonding :D Just clean everything in the areas he is allowed to go and his possessions before returning them together.
If they live indoors I guess a large dog crate would be ideal with an attached run if they can't be free range?

Oh and is he neutered yet?

If not, it would be easier to get him neutered and his hormones settled before bonding him with a wife so that he won't hassle her with his manly urges.
You could probably find a nice neutered female on the rabbits in need/rabbit rehome section when you are both ready :D

Back