• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

moulting again???

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Liquorice seems to be moulting again...when we stroke him fur flies everywhere ( i assume this is moulting?????)

I thought it only happened in summer to get winter coat ready for cold months?

He is a house bunny by the way ;)

Some house buns moult all year round, the warmer weather then the heating coming on throws them out of sync :D

Just means lots of grooming and having to put up with a hairy house :rolleyes:

My dog moults all year round and his fur is a mare, sticks to everything!

yup Alvin and ralph are both losing hair right now.... central heating plays havoc with pets and their coats :(

it is rather warm in our house. He sleeps in the conservatory where it is really cool then comes in house where its warm...maybe thats it???

i dunno.. ive given up trying to figure why ralph is in a constant state of losing hair, maybe they know what the temp should be like instinct but the houses are warm and it makes them moult simply because they should....

Yes their body knows that they don't need a full winter coat because of the temperature in the house, even if it isn't constant, so it keeps shedding.
My outdoor buns will only moult spring and autumn and grow their full winter coats, which at the moment are glorious! :D

Sooty is in a constant state of moult at the moment. For the last 2 months I've been plucking hair off in handfulls...However, none of our other 3 house buns are moulting at all. I wonder if it is something to do with black buns?

Sooty is in a constant state of moult at the moment. For the last 2 months I've been plucking hair off in handfulls...However, none of our other 3 house buns are moulting at all. I wonder if it is something to do with black buns?

It probably depends on the breed and colour as like with humans, blonde hair is much thinner than a brunette so it would make sense that a darker haired bun would shed more if it works the same in rabbit fur colour.
Although I have 2 reg lionhead house bunny boarders who are both predominately white and they moult like crazy all the time! So maybe not :lol:

Yes their body knows that they don't need a full winter coat because of the temperature in the house, even if it isn't constant, so it keeps shedding.
My outdoor buns will only moult spring and autumn and grow their full winter coats, which at the moment are glorious! :D

can you really tell the difference between coats? chances are ill never see a winter coat in a rabbit...

Last edited by a moderator:
can you really tell the difference between coats? chances are ill never see a winter coat in a rabbit...

Aw!!!! Come see mine!!!

Bessies coat is much thicker and the undercoat fuller and its a shiny sumptuous bright brown (she is agouti).
Dallas I think may have rex in him somewhere as he has an amazingly soft coat. His also is much thicker than during the summer when I first got him but doesn't have as an thick undercoat as Bess but she is part lionhead so I guess that makes her have a much thicker coat.
He is grey and shiny and its def thicker than in summer.
You can feel the difference when stroking them :D

Liquorice seems to be moulting again...when we stroke him fur flies everywhere ( i assume this is moulting?????)

I thought it only happened in summer to get winter coat ready for cold months?

He is a house bunny by the way ;)

He is gorgeous :D

Back