• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy eye

karen354

Warren Veteran
Bertie is my housebun and hasn't had any garden time for the last 2 weeks. himself and Fizz have refused to go out the door (too cold for them)
They have been out this morning, I let them out for about 40 mins we stayed out with them so they had the run of the garden.
Just brought them back in and I noticed Bertie had a weepy eye :? looks like milk white stuff, could this mean teeth problems ? or could it be because he's been having a mad run about outside and got a chill ?

Just thought of something the last few days he's been getting right in his hay sack I wonder if he's got some hay in it :?

Last edited:
Liquorice has always had a weepy eye and in the past few months it sort of cleared (a little) and it was when he wasnt having as much grass...i wondered if it was linked?

But it has come back over last few weeks and has started in other eye - so it seems not???:cry::cry:

Poor thing is going to vets next tuesday to have tear duct flush and may need dental depending on what they find....not to mention he's getting neutered too....bless him!!!:cry::cry::cry:

Liquorice has always had a weepy eye and in the past few months it sort of cleared (a little) and it was when he wasnt having as much grass...i wondered if it was linked?

But it has come back over last few weeks and has started in other eye - so it seems not???:cry::cry:

Poor thing is going to vets next tuesday to have tear duct flush and may need dental depending on what they find....not to mention he's getting neutered too....bless him!!!:cry::cry::cry:

Is it milky or clear ? I must admit I really panicked when I first noticed Bertie's eye, good job we have this forum though with excellent advice :D

PA010044.jpg

P7160069.jpg

As his eye weeps it seems to take the fur with it?? We try to keep it clean as much as poss. he is going to vets on Tues to try again at tear duct flush

hi,

my rabbit has the exact same thing- i cleaned the area with salt water every day and it got better but has come back again today. This definitely helps. Oh and I think the stuff that comes out seems to disintegrate the fur it seeps around- or so i've found from my research- the same has happened to mine!

I have a house rabbit i think it may just be dust with them being inside blocking the ducts.

I would do some research on a duct flush though- i've heard they can be quite distressing and not always necessary- not trying to put you off if thats the treatment he needs though!!

Last edited:
Flump

My Mini Lop Rabbit Flump has had weepy eyes for about a mnth now - I've bathed them with warm water to help with her fur clumbing together it has helped but not stopped the weeping... She is booked in tomorrow for a eye duct flush - I'm alittle nervous about it myself the reason being she's been alittle distressed recently the reason being we went away on holiday thinking we had left her in suitable boarding unfortunatley it wasn't and she was left most distressed! I'm just hoping she will be able to cope with it.. The vet thinks the sooner the better..Wish her luck!

Hugo had a weepy eye once & it was conjunctavitis - some drops from the vet cleared it up in a few days.

Any rabbit with a chronically weepy eye MUST see a vet.

Runny eyes can be caused by a variety of problems and if persistent (as in still present after a few days) will require veterinary intervention.

Causes can be:
*Dental issues & overgrown tooth roots
*Pasteurella
*Conjunctivitis and infection
*Entropia
*A blockage of the tearducts
*The presence of a foreign body
*Scar tissue in the tearducts causing narrowing

You may be interested in this information on duct flushing: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showpost.php?p=2213176&postcount=2

Bertie's eye has been fine since. . It was just the once I noticed the sore eye and nothing since :? I'll have to keep a close eye on it though.

Bertie's eye has been fine since. . It was just the once I noticed the sore eye and nothing since :? I'll have to keep a close eye on it though.

I wasn't referring to you Karen, but treating a weepy eye for weeks with bathing is just treating the symptoms and not the cause. Its sore and distressing for the rabbit.

Also using salt water on inflammed skin is going to make matters worse, the skin is inflammed due to the salt excreted via the rabbits tears and this is what causes the fur to rot.

I wasn't referring to you Karen, but treating a weepy eye for weeks with bathing is just treating the symptoms and not the cause. Its sore and distressing for the rabbit.

Also using salt water on inflammed skin is going to make matters worse, the skin is inflammed due to the salt excreted via the rabbits tears and this is what causes the fur to rot.

I know you must of posted when i was writing, I'm so slow at typing :oops:

:wave:
When my buns have had occasional weepy eyes, I have cleaned them with some of my contact lens solution on a cotton pad.

It's just saline solution i think, but it generally clears it right up. You can buy it from Boots if you don't wear contact lenses.

If it doesn't clear up within a couple of days, or if it gets worse, I would take them to the vets (as per Sooz's post).

Kerina
xxx

My Stella had the exact same thing. She has had numerous drops and creams, tear ducts flushed and again under anesthetic when it didnt work the first time. It is thought that her tear ducts are naturally narrow, not allowing all the fluid to drain away properly. Either that or the roots of her teeth are interfering with her tear ducts, in which case, the only way to stop it is to remove the teeth. It is something to keep an eye on, especially if you have more then one rabbit, Bud cleans her eyes when they get bad so I cant always tell.

:wave:
When my buns have had occasional weepy eyes, I have cleaned them with some of my contact lens solution on a cotton pad.

It's just saline solution i think, but it generally clears it right up. You can buy it from Boots if you don't wear contact lenses.

If it doesn't clear up within a couple of days, or if it gets worse, I would take them to the vets (as per Sooz's post).

Kerina
xxx

Saline solution is basically sterilised salt water so again, if we are talking chronically weepy eyes, I would advise against using it longterm.

If you are trying to rinse a foreign body from the eye then its fine.

Back