• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Kind of Litter Tray?

pet_lover

New Kit
What kind of litter trays do you guys use? I've seen corner litter trays, and I could get one of those from a pet store...is that what you guys get, or do you use different kinds? If you guys have pictures, that would be good. :thumbsup: Also, how many litter trays is recommended per rabbit? Is there usually one in the cage, and then one in an area outside of their cage for while they are out?

i have 4. but only because the buns are seperated for now. Zola has a big corner litter tray and the base half of an atlas carrier and wispa has a rectangular tray and a plastic dog bed. heres their crate ones

CIMG0179.jpg

I have exactly the same two litter trays for my oudoor buns:shock::shock:

Only had one tray when I just had Flopsy but when Jem came I noticed somebunny was weeing in the corner - obviously somebunny already on the loo if you know what I mean so I got another tray.

Flopsy had the corner one as he always wee weed over the sides of the flat ones but Jem is fine using either.

I have the corner one in the corner:lol:and the flat one right next to it so they are both in one area downstairs.

I prefer to use corner litter trays with high sides, just to stop any spray from getting on the wall behind. Or litter being kicked out of the cage from the tray, instead it can only be kicked else where in the cage.

Our house buns use cat litter boxes with a cat flap at the front. Didn't take long to train them to use them and it's so funny watching them go in and out the flap! They're brilliant - no megazorb kicked out and the smell is kept in too :D

Definitely worth a try - you can take the top or flap off to begin with til bun gets the idea, but our bunnies honestly do it with ease and they're both little bunnies! x

Bobbin had a corner tray but didn't use it very well, I think they are generally too small... he looked a bit awkward and uncomfortable in it :? He likes more room to pee and poo! :lol:

Deej has 2 large cat litter trays in his cage, I must admit though I did notice after a while that they are pee spatters on the wallpaper. :shock: Not looking forward to dealing with that when the time comes.

I use one cat litter tray and a plastic box for inside the hutch for them to eat hay from. In the run, I have two cat litter trays. I have two rabbits, so at least one per rabbit.

7w4m844.jpg

^Cat litter trays in the hutch

6k0eiqg.jpg

^Box in the hutch

My two outdoor buns have 2 big highbacked ones upstairs, and one downstairs, and I put one out in the garden run when they go out during the day. I found the little corner things no use ..too small and the buns tended to wee over the back or sides. Nia is much smaller and she has a small cat litter tray as she doesn't do much jumping around anyway. I use the corner one for her hay
DSC01348.jpg

DSC03338.jpg

My buns run freely in my apartment and this is how their litter tray is:

DSC00383.jpg

It is a cat litter tray bought in a pet shop.

I have a kitten litter tray inside a cardboard box cos Sorrel likes to be private. :D and for outdoors I use a seedling tray which is a similar size and happened to be knocking about in the garage.

I use underbed boxes as the sides are nice and high - it's really cosy for them to snuggle in as there's loads of room too. I also use the cage base from a 2' guinea pig cage - again nice and roomy so there's always clean hay for them to lie on and eat. Maa won't use her 'bed' for a toilet though, so she has a kitten sized litter tray squeezed into the gap next to her underbed hay box - just a handful of litter in it and it gets cleaned daily unlike the large boxes.

My two bunnies have one litter tray. After they were bonded they had three litter trays so they shouldn't fight over territory or food, but to decrease poo everywere I've recently given them only one with room for two:

030120081932eTQ2e7GNs4uOIufakT.JPG

Hi Ida:wave: What a fantastic idea..a toilet /feeding station:D What a genius arrangement to have the hay racks at the back, as well. Thanks for the photo of it ..inspirational!!

This is mine, which is an under bed storage thing. We have two of these with hay bows in it. We now also have a third litter tray which is my super large haybowl that rosie was using as a litter tray too. Go with the flow. I now have smaller haybowls and a hanging basket of hay.

P1000730.jpg

Hi Ida:wave: What a fantastic idea..a toilet /feeding station:D What a genius arrangement to have the hay racks at the back, as well. Thanks for the photo of it ..inspirational!!

Glad I could help :D I have it in the bottom shelf of a book shelf so it doesn't take up much space, bebause my space is limited ;)

.. high sided giant gree seed tray from B&Q with bright yellow handles!
It has a lower front and high sides and back and has ample room for two to pee together ... as they do :oops::lol:

Back