• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handling issues

Graeme27Uk

Warren Scout
Frosty does not like being picked up. He loves attention and will come up for cuddles and stuff but when we try to pick him up (as is occassionally necessary) he tends to struggle and he is a powerful little bundle of fluff....

Any ideas how to overcome this?

Im afraid most rabbits do not like to be picked up and most never will. I limit handling on all my rabbits to the bare necessities.

The reason they do not like to be carried is that the motion of being 'suspended' in the air is what they instinctively associate with being carried off by a predator so they either freeze from fear or try flight or fight.

It needs to be done slowly and on their terms buolding up the tim they are carried over a period of weeks. The first step is to gain their trust and this can be done by hand feeding treats, grooming them whilst on the floor and generally letting them approach you and rewarding them with 'nice' physical contact such as nose and ear rubs.

Some people with very skittish rabbits use a carrier to transport them from hutch and run....if your rabbit struggles a lot I strongly recommend this, as someone who has had a rabbit break a leg jumping from her arms.

Im afraid most rabbits do not like to be picked up and most never will. I limit handling on all my rabbits to the bare necessities.

The reason they do not like to be carried is that the motion of being 'suspended' in the air is what they instinctively associate with being carried off by a predator so they either freeze from fear or try flight or fight.

It needs to be done slowly and on their terms buolding up the tim they are carried over a period of weeks. The first step is to gain their trust and this can be done by hand feeding treats, grooming them whilst on the floor and generally letting them approach you and rewarding them with 'nice' physical contact such as nose and ear rubs.

Some people with very skittish rabbits use a carrier to transport them from hutch and run....if your rabbit struggles a lot I strongly recommend this, as someone who has had a rabbit break a leg jumping from her arms.

Smudge loves cuddles and will jump up and beg to be picked up. I just assumed this was the same with every bunny... silly me.

I think Frosty is just not a cuddle-bun. He loves strokes and such but not the picking up. He isn't an affectionate bunny in the sense of nose rubs, licking etc. He will come up to you and lower his head for a rub but he seldom nudges or licks back, etc.

Pet carrier it is I think. My only concern is when we take him to the vets he doesn't like being handled and will jump on me for a cuddle and protection. However, he does this, realises he is being held and then trys to jump off of me... I don't want him to be hurt as you state.

Pet carrier it is I think. My only concern is when we take him to the vets he doesn't like being handled and will jump on me for a cuddle and protection. However, he does this, realises he is being held and then trys to jump off of me... I don't want him to be hurt as you state.

Whilst carrying is not a necessity, handling for health checks is and this is what you need to get him used to. Grooming with him on you lap is a good way to start and always reward him for tolerating handling.

Its hard work but in the long run it makes spotting potential health issues much easier.

I never lift Buu because she doesnt like it. I used a clicker to train her to get into her hutch or run/come into the house so I dont need to lift her anyways :D If I do need to bring her upstairs or anything I use a basket and she gets in and out when she is told.

I check her over when she is flopped on the floor and at the vets the vet will check her on the floor too so she isnt lifted onto the table :D

Whilst carrying is not a necessity, handling for health checks is and this is what you need to get him used to. Grooming with him on you lap is a good way to start and always reward him for tolerating handling.

Its hard work but in the long run it makes spotting potential health issues much easier.

This is the thing... he wont sit on laps, he comes up for the treats and then hops off. He is a stubborn bunny. If you cuddle him it has to be on his terms or not at all it seems, even with bribery.

I think part of it might be due to his poor entry into the world. When we got him his teeth were severely overgrown and we had to take him to the vets to get them chopped. He didn't like this, then there were lots of other issues when he was young. He doesn't like the vets one bit...

He is fine with us but very nervous around other people. He tends to kick out a lot, defensive behaviour, and this is where the problems start as he gets over stressed...

My Flopsy will not let you pick him up at all until he goes to the vets:rolleyes:

Probably only cos he's nervous so I am his safest bet:lol::lol:

Jem doesn't mind but I don't tend to bother - I find if I bob down to their level when they are upstairs they are more interactive.

They both go mad at the hutch door if they see me coming:D Probably cos I have the food:lol:

Wispa goes through phases, one day not minding it the other kicking like hell. i tend to only pick her up if i have to, shes easy to usher into a carrier or into her crate.

Is there anything that may be worrying him? My girls were acting very oddly yesterday. They wouldn't allow me to pick them up. Then I realised that my cat was sitting just outside the run and this is why they wouldn't leave the run.

Our Rosie is a 'look but don't touch bun'. I guess she was not handled much as a baby.

She will approach us for breakfast, treats etc but may or may not let you lay a finger on her. Picking her up involves cornering her in a pen. She is terrified and we are stressed :(.

She is still only 7 months old so we hope in time she will become less timid. We love her anyway and she gives so much pleasure along with sister Hollie and Herbie it doesn't really matter if she is never a cuddly!

Back