• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sudden behaviour changes

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi i'm a little concerned about some of my rabbits. One of my bucks used to love being picked up by me and let me pick him up with ease by coming to the front of the hutch. He is the only one out of all of them to do this. However recently he's been going mad running in and out of his bed area and avoiding me whenever i've gone to get him for a cuddle. I am wondering is something wrong? i have no idea why he'd just change behaviour like that.

Also my other 2 bucks cower at the back of the hutch whenever i go to bring them inside to be brushed they are brothers and are neutered and they are well looked after. I'm confused as to why they are so frightened because as soon as they are inside the house they are fine.

Another thing is my 3 doe sisters who are spayed and all live together in one big hutch. One of them used to come up to whoever opened one of the hutch doors and couldn't wait to be cuddled but now she runs away as soon as anyone tries to get her, same with the other 2.

My question for the brothers and sisters is, is there something i can do for them to stop the running away and cowering? They are all looked after and get attention so i don't understand what's going wrong.

Any sudden change of behaviour can indicate illness or pain so I would suggest a vet check up as the first port of call.

If you routinely pick your rabbits up to move them from one place to another (e.g. into the house) then I'd consider it fairly normal rabbit behaviour to run away and cower. You need to remember that rabbits are 'prey' animals, i.e. their instincts tell them that something cornering them and then picking them up is about to carry them off to be eaten. Once you put them down again inside they will realise that they are 'free' so continue to behave relatively normally.

Is there any way you can attach exercise space to their outdoor accommodation and brush them outdoors? Rabbits feel much more secure in their defined territory so they are more likely to be relaxed if you don't have to keep picking them up and moving them around. Or perhaps try and get them into a pet carrier to bring them indoors instead of picking them up.

How big is the hutch that the three sisters are in, and how often do they get exercise time? Another possibility is that even though they are neutered, they are grouchy because they can't get away from each other in the hutch and maybe also because they can smell the boys (and vice versa). Have you sat and observed them for periods of time to see how they are interacting with each other?

Also how old are they? Oten young buns are ok with being handled but as they grow up they are more able to struggle and run away so like it less.

Any sudden change of behaviour can indicate illness or pain so I would suggest a vet check up as the first port of call.

If you routinely pick your rabbits up to move them from one place to another (e.g. into the house) then I'd consider it fairly normal rabbit behaviour to run away and cower. You need to remember that rabbits are 'prey' animals, i.e. their instincts tell them that something cornering them and then picking them up is about to carry them off to be eaten. Once you put them down again inside they will realise that they are 'free' so continue to behave relatively normally.

Is there any way you can attach exercise space to their outdoor accommodation and brush them outdoors? Rabbits feel much more secure in their defined territory so they are more likely to be relaxed if you don't have to keep picking them up and moving them around. Or perhaps try and get them into a pet carrier to bring them indoors instead of picking them up.

How big is the hutch that the three sisters are in, and how often do they get exercise time? Another possibility is that even though they are neutered, they are grouchy because they can't get away from each other in the hutch and maybe also because they can smell the boys (and vice versa). Have you sat and observed them for periods of time to see how they are interacting with each other?

Also how old are they? Oten young buns are ok with being handled but as they grow up they are more able to struggle and run away so like it less.

We haven't got the space to attach anything to the front of thier hutches outdoors unfortunately. The hutch the sisters are in is a lavender lodge from pets at home, i can't remember the dimensions. They get time to exercise whenever they can but with the rain it's been a bit difficult lately. All 3 sisters get on really well with each other and are always cuddling up together. They are just over 5 months now the brothers and sisters. My other buck is coming up for 11 months.

I don't think any of them are ill, coud it be where it's been raining and they haven't been able to get outside as much that they may be a bit grumpy?

My girls are like this and what I'm going to do is spend a whole day with them, without picking them up. Usually when they see me, I pick them up, so I want them to associate me with good things, like cuddles and strokes.

Back