• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Netherland dwarf-input for magazine needed

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
Hi all
I am putting together a Netherland dwarf article for the next issue of Bunny Mad magazine. it will be the 4th in the series about bunny breeds written for me by Chandra Moire Beal.
I would like you to write a few words about your netherland dwarf and what defines them as a breed. i. behaviour, temperment, quirks ect. i have written a few words myself below to give you an idea.
some of the quotes will be included in the article so please write your full name below your post, I am also looking for nice pictures of your nethies to go with the article

My Netherland dwarf angel is just the cutest little bunny. He has the cutest little ears and nose! he's also very nimble and loves to play, catch me if you can! He's very independant and likes to do things his way!

thanks
lisa and the buns

my little netherland dwarf is called rosie, she loves her food and her mum, she is nervous but loving, cheeky and can be very naughty when you are not around she gets upto mischief and has fun, she is soo energetic and is never still for long :lol:

ebay002.jpg

summer002.jpg

lisa yates

Last edited:
My netherland dwarf, Alfred, is a stroppy little man! He spends hours at a time chewing anything he can get his little paws on, ignoring me and his food! Once he tires out, however, he loves his cuddles and is the sweetest thing!

Rachel Worthen

I'll try and get some better pics uploaded later

5.jpg

4.jpg

2-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a pair of Netherland Dwarves, Dudley (grey) and Santa (black). They are extremely bonded and spend all day cuddled up together. Dudley is very boisterous and outgoing, and Santa is much more reserved and chilled. Unfortunately, largely due to the shape of her face, Santa now has advanced dental disease which we manage as best we can.

(and here's a selection of pics)

42a4084b.jpg

72bf8dd9.jpg

508bfed8.jpg

6dbd53e3.jpg

20bc4b10.jpg

Squidgy is a house bunny and is very bonded with us. He loves to groom and be groomed, and goes exploring around the house frequently. He is very inquisitive, and also very independent - he has been known to growl when he doesn't get his own way! He had his incisors out 5 years as they were maloccluded, but he manages fine.
DSCN1020-1.jpg

DSCN0623.jpg

Salt and Pepper live outside in a 6' x 6' enclosure. They both love their food and leaping from the top of their hutch. They were very shy when they arrived here, but have definitely become much braver. Salt is the more dominant one, and is quite bossy, whereas Pepper is slightly more timid, although he does steal food from Salt's mouth every now and then!
DSCN1045.jpg

P4140041.jpg

DSCN0951.jpg

PA130019.jpg

P1000663.jpg

Rosie is about 6 months. I haven't weighed her but I guestimate she would be about 1 kg. She eats everything now but was very fussy when she first came and would hardly eat anything. It took ages to ween her off a crappy mix onto pellets, firstly with dwarf pellets but now she's eat whatever. She's a bit nervous and unfortunately tends to poo when nervous (and she gets nervous a lot) so as she's a semi free range bun I spend quite a bit of time sweeping up after her. She is getting less and less nervous though and is currently enjoying vertical binkys 1ft from standing, running through her tunnel and rolling on her back. She hates being picked up and I get very fit trying to catch her for checks.

P1000705.jpg

This is sid my foster. Hes a much larger 3 year old bun who enjoys adventuring, hoping onto laps for pellets and the odd nose rub. He's a bit wiggly when picked up but only because he wants to explore and will quite happily munch on pellets as he sits on your shoulder parrot style. He eats everything and is perfectly litter trained.

Both bunnys are very soft and lovely to stroke. None of them have teeth problems at the mo.

Tarquin is my precious teeny boy. He is very adventurous and loves running up and down the stairs - it's quite a sight seeing my tiny bun bobbing up and down the steep stairs. When he wants picking up for a cuddle he sits up on his back legs and reaches up with his front legs stretched out like a baby. He has realised this week that if he doesn't want to go back in his cage at bed time, that it's fun to hide in places that aren't easy to reach him - I have spent ages crawling under the table and behind the settee to get him - and I can tell he's loving every minute of it. I've only had him in my life a few months but can't imagine what it was like before I was lucky enough to be able to give him a home. He gives me such joy and I love him to bits.

Tarquin-3-1.jpg

Tarquin-31.jpg

Tarquin-1stJanuary2008-whatsthat-1.jpg

Tarquin-1stJanuary2008-whatdoIdo-1.jpg

Tarquin-1stJanuary2008-relaxingo-1.jpg

This one's a bit blurred but I love it because he's crossing his paws:

Tarquin-2-1.jpg

:)

Last edited:
heres the best picture of my nethie Bella, i think i have with her little boy
allsorts130-1.jpg

She is a sweetie and an absolute delight has never biten like wat most small breeds of dogs are like!? not even growled! loves to be centre of attention! always comes running at dinner time:lol: not overly fussed on veg or treats she would rather have company, what i will say is that they have very sensitive tummys though!!!

Last edited:
It's funny isn't it, I hear a lot of people say their nethies have sensitive tummies, mine are absolutely fine, they eat exactly the same as my lops and I never have any tummy probs. The only exception is that Santa is fairly prone to antibiotic induced enteritis but the poor thing has had so many antibiotics I'm not surprised!

I have nethie crosses in the form of Peppermint, Noah and Alfie. They have such distinctive characteristics and very strong personalities. Noah melts my heart, he is so cheeky, he has managed to manipulate me into giving him a select menu each day, but rewards me with nudges and the cheekiest face.Alfie is a destructor, but with the same distinctive cheeky face as his brother Noah. Peppermint was my first bunny so will always be special, he is so loving and receptive to people, he is my very reason for having fallen so hopelessy in love with bunnies.:D

Alfie
Alfie.jpg

Noah
LPIC0271.jpg

peppers ( with Ezzie )
DSCI0434.jpg

We foster a little nethie and he is a fiesty man!
He doesnt like it if his friend gets attention and seems to battle with hinmself not to show his kinder side! its really sweet and endearing!
We're supposed to be finding them homes and lord knows im trying! they're on RR too but im a incy bit glad we havent yet becasue he's our lil chipmonk mate! :love:

My little Nethie Dotty is cute, mad as cheese, bouncy and happy. She spends hours under her log tunnel sleeping and then suddenly jumps up and binkies about :shock: :lol: She is cheeky and full of spirit. She is also a miracle bunny as she was very ill when she was young and my vet held out very little chance of her surviving. Nethies are rays of sunshine ! :D

dottyandrad003.jpg

My little Joey has a BIG character. He's bolshy and bossy, yet happy to be cuddled. He lives with his big frenchie wife who he guards with his life. Even Conti Giants don't bother him - he'll face them off anytime if they're looking at his wife!
He's around 6 years old now, but still a sprightly little fella. I love him 'cos he's a tiny bundle with a big attitude!

bunnies016.jpg

2007_0117Image0055.jpg

2007_1021nov070014.jpg

Ours is bugsy he loves to nibble anything infront of him exept from food his fav is my helo kitty dressing gown from h&m!He also likes to groom the girls cleo & maddie he trys to groom ruby but ruby jumps and hops off!He can be a bit frisky at times he likes to hop up high in the air!
Image076.jpg

He also likes snugling up with maddie to:
Image057.jpg

He can be hard work but his cuteness pays off!;)

My nethie is called Liquorice. She is a black otter. She is nothing like the usual comments made about bad tempered, stroppy ND's. She the quietest rabbit I have ever owned, very sweet and gentle, but she can happily hold her own in my bonded group. :lol: She doesn't have a delicate tum but shes a picky eater and seems to eat hardly anything!

That first photo of joey is fantastic. I love the one of him and his OH as well, little and large.

I'm a newish nethie owner so one question. rosie has taken to sitting with her ears folded back (interspersed with happy flops). I always thought ears back was "i'm scared" but she shows no real sign of this other than the ears. In nethies with their tiny ears does it mean "I'm relaxed"?

Last edited:
Squidgy's ears are back most of the time. He ****** them up of he hears anything or is exploring though.
Salt and Pepper's tend to be up most of the time - but they live outside so more noises to hear.

Back