• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Depressed bun?

bettyboo

Young Bun
Hi everyone :wave:

Really hope someone might help me with some bunny behaviour frustrations we are having with our boy Bigwig (the handsome man opposite). He is now 9 months old and we have had him for 3 months. He is also neutered. We have always had issues with handling him but thought that we were overcoming this.

He has the attic room to himself through the day, along with his cage, and gets attention in the morning and in the evening - either with us sitting in his room with him or by carrying him downstairs to run around. He has a lot of freedom.

Despite all our efforts, poor BW seems constantly angry. He's very huffy, stomps ALOT, can get viscious when picked up (we pick him up correctly and without picking him up, he loses the opportunity to run downstairs and sit with us to watch TV etc.) but on the other hand he LOVES ear scratches and very occasionally enjoys the odd binky and spends time when he is with us totally stretched out, which would suggest contentment!

We feel now like we've taken a huge step back. Only a week or so ago we felt we'd made a breakthrough when he started jumping onto the sofa for scratches. However, over the last few days he's totally turned on us, refusing to come out from under the sofa bed, even with the bribery of food! He seems so down in the dumps and we cannot get near him to put him to bed. Tonight he gave me a light nip when i went to scratch him (which he normally loves).

In a nutshell, we're at a loss. He's a total connundrum! Are we expecting too much? Is this all normal? Is it possible for a rabbit to have an anger issue?!

I have just purchased a collapsable rabbit run in order to restrict his area in the attic in the hope that preventing him hiding under the sofa bed will encourage him to interact more with us and prevent the arguements over going back into his cage.

Also, we think he'd like a friend and are ready to start looking for one, partly for company and partly in the hope that a mate would bring him out of his shell, but now we're worried about whether this would have the desired effect or might even exasperate the problem.

Sorry to go on. We really are worried for our depressed and angry little friend and would love some input from some experienced owners on the matter.

Thanks in advance :oops:

It may be an idea to have a full MOT with a vet. A change in behaviour can signal something medically wrong. For example if he's got a teeth problem or a bladder infection and is uncomfortable then that may show in his behaviour.

Have you tried using a carry case to transport him up and down stairs? He may feel more secure in this - particularly for long trips and you might be able to train him to jump in/out himself.

Tamsin

I would definitely get him to a vets for a health check, just in case.

Most rabbits (certainly my two) hate being picked up, they're prey animals, so it upsets them. Have you tried putting him in a carrier to move him from one part of the house to another? I definitely would not attempt to walk around with Inky in my arms, he'd either jump out of my arms and injure himself or injure me trying to escape. However, if you try to interact with most rabbits on their own level, i.e. the floor, they really enjoy the attention.

Have you tried positive reinforcement with him? Every night, when my lot go back into their playhouse, I give them a small treat, to say 'thank you' for going in. They know that they have to wait sensibly and almost every night, without fail, they stand by the door ready. It didn't take long to train them to do this but praise has to be as soon as they do the right thing, if that makes sense.

I don't think getting him a friend would make the problem worse, it may even improve it. A rabbit on their own, is a lonely rabbit and will remain so until it gets a bunny friend (preferably from a rescue).

Thanks Tamsin

I was wondering about his health and you've reiterated that. He's due in the vets on tuesday for one of his jabs so i'll make sure they check him over.

We were carrying BW down in a box but he did start to settle down on the picking up. It's more that we end up having to chase him to get him into his cage at night which we know is stressful for all concerned. Poor BW.

I'm am concerned that he's lonely and when he trys to chase the cats they just run away terrified (!!!) so he gets no other animal interaction. Maybe this is the answer. And she would def be from a rescue.

I think most rabbits benefit from companionship of other bunnies :) I would try to pick one that's quite out going and that should help him in situations where he is nervous.

Does he have other things in his room he can hide in? Tunnels, cardboard boxes etc. it can actually make them more brave to have lots of places to hide because they can explore knowing there is somewhere safe to run and hide in if something scares them.

Also what time of day does he come out for exercise? Has this changed at all? Some rabbits have quite strict sleeping/awake routines and if you're disturbing his sleep that may make him grumpy. Most rabbits are active mornings and evenings but sleep during lunch/afternoon.

Tamsin

BW has lots of toys (he likes to play Jenga) and has tube and box tunnels. We really have tried to provide him everything he needs BUT maybe a GF is the answer. It would mean he'd have one of his own to play with and snuggle up to and if we choose carefully, a playful and confident rabbit will probably help make him more confident.

THANK YOU for the Happy Hoppers link. We are in Sheffield but would happily travel further. We'll start looking in the next week. :)

hi :wave:
I would def recommend seeing a vet, just to put your mind at rest more than anything. A wifey bun for him would also be a good idea. We have a 2 year old rex (Monty) who has lived with us about a year before his wifey bun (Audrey) came to live here. The difference in his behaviour is unbeliveable! She is such a calming influence and he is more confident in himself. Good luck in your search for a wifey bun for yours - don;t forget to let us know how you are getting on and post some photos!!:D

hi,

this happened to me too at the same age.....my bunny was fine at first then suddenly seemed to hate me! it was impossible to pick her up and used to kick and scratch if I tried! This was the biggest problem as it was impossible to pick her up when i let her out withought her appearing stressed- and when I let her out she would always run away wheras in the past she would come and jump on the bed or nudge me for strokes! It was really upsetting for her to act like this. I think it was from a couple of traumatic experiences at the vet and also leaving her with my family when i went on holiday and she hated it!

But now things are much better though i'm still in the process of improving the relationship- it really just takes time and trial and error! at first for about a week i didnt let her run around- i just held her stroked her for ages- eventually she started licking me and started to really enjoy it! then when she was running about- if i wanted to pick her up i would just chase her until eventually she eventually let me- and the time it takes id getting less and less. It just takes a lot of patience and attention but in time im sure your relationship will improve lots too! I think its a strange age when the go from being a little playful bunny to an adult rabbit- their personalities change a lot!

dont give up! x

Thanks for this. Bigwig went to the vets today and was given the all clear. We've limited his freedom since my first post, in so much as he isn't getting the run of the attic and instead spends the whole evening downstairs with us ... what a difference!!!

Once again his behaviour has swung again! He's binkying round the livingroom, hopping on and off the sofa for cuddles and flopping out on the rug with the cats! I swear my little bun is dual-personality!

In conclusion, we think that he is lonely and a bit bored so the search is now on for a friendly, sociable, neutered and vaccinated girl.

I'll contact Barnsley this week and Sue - if you do have a suitable girl, please pm me asap.

If anyone else can suggest somewhere for rescue bunnies within about half an hour or so of Sheffield, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for your help everyone :wave:

:wave:Great news from the vet:D At least your mind is put at ease about BW's health.
Good luck in the search for girlie bun - keep us posted!!! and don;t forget to post piccies!!!

Back