• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If you are using a dog crate how do you keep all the mess inside???

Wuzzy

Warren Scout
I notice on another thread that al ot of people are using do grates in the house for their binnies.
Ok, how are you keeping all the mess inside the cage and not outside the cage?
There are no sides on these cages for spillout.
I also noticed people having cage sides and having the bunnies on the floor :shock: what the heck is up with that???!!!

large underbed storage box or 2 with the messy litter stuff and hay in, then a piece of carpet on the floor of the crate, so long as they don't chew it.

when we used megazorb in the litter trays the mess went every where but now we use biocatolet with straw on top so that the litter doesnt get stuck to the bun when they jump out.

Wispa is a tidy bun but the un neutered Zola keeps digging in his hay bowl so its going everywhere. We have a handheld dysons for little bits of mess

when we used megazorb in the litter trays the mess went every where but now we use biocatolet with straw on top so that the litter doesnt get stuck to the bun when they jump out.

Wispa is a tidy bun but the un neutered Zola keeps digging in his hay bowl so its going everywhere. We have a handheld dysons for little bits of mess

We've just got one, its great, especially when you have a white bunny and black cushions :lol:

I had one fo the Handheld Dysons for Christmas too :D It had the special head I think. I always use a Black and Decker in the sheds. Must admit it kept getting clogged up and really wasnt working as good as I thought it would for the £130 my husband spent on it :shock: I took it back and got another better great Black and Decker one :D for £59 and it works so well :D Wouldnt be without a handy vac with housebuns and the sheds :lol:

I have lined the crate with cardboard about 2" around all the sides. Stops the mess from being pushed outside and gives the bunnies something else to chew on:lol:

I also noticed people having cage sides and having the bunnies on the floor :shock: what the heck is up with that???!!!

I don't understand that bit?

Mine have a litter tray so the mess stays in there, there's a little dip on the tray so it keeps stray poos mostly in, and there's the hoover for the rest.

Vet bed in the bottom, wooden pellet litter (too heavy to go any where) and shake the vet bed out everyday...good old dustpan and brush for anything else (wooden flooring is very pet friendly)

xx

sorrel doesnt make any mess. her litter tray is inside a cardboard box cos she likes to "go" somewhere private...and her hay is in a rack, little bits fall out but i just prod them back in.

i was expecting there to be mess and was planning to tie a strip of cloth round the outside at a low level to hold stuff in but then it wasn't necessary.

I have an NIC cage, and the flooring is just the wooden floor of my room. There is no mess to get out. :) She uses her litter tray 100% of the time, and her hay rack is over the litter tray so bits that fall out just go in there. :)

She has fleece blankets on her two upper levels, and I shake them out every few days, and wash them once a week. :)

I have come to the conclusion that having house bunnies means mess...

Mine don't live a cage but have a room to live in (before we get a bigger hutch for them both) and as such tend to tip hay out on the floor... poop... etc. They are both house trained and thankfully both use their litter trays for big poops and weeing. But they do seem to like lobbing their food bowls around and throwing food on the floor...

I just hoover each morning much to their distaste of having a tidy room.

I just hoover each morning much to their distaste of having a tidy room.

i hoover everyday as well, and decided to stop using megazorb as it was what was getting everywhere when they jumped out the litter tray. i spent ages hoovering yesterday but Zola was very unhappy with it being tidy so emptied his hay on to the carpet about 5 minutes later :roll:

i dont mind the hay, i like the smell.... its the dog hairs i struggle with and so Alvin as per is blameless on the mess ;)
oh and the chippies chuck all the empty nut shells out the cage, house proud im so not :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My freenchies don't chew so I have bathroom carpet off cuts in the bottom of my crates. I use underbed storage boxes filled with Hemcore which is heavy so doesn't get kicked about. I put hay in flatbacked hanging baskets with some cardboard on the outside to contain the hay.
I only have to hoover up a small amount of escaped hay everyday :)

.... my b'f favourite saying is...'how do you live like this ?' :lol::lol::lol:

I used to be very house proud, now I just bother when non bunny people come over :lol::lol:

Wooden litter in a litter tray, newspaper on the bottom of the cage and sometimes a blanket or a piece of vet bed when its chilly. The only mess is from the hay rack as obviously the hays falls out the other side too - but the bunnies mostly sit there any eat it anyhow, otherwise I just pick it up with the dust pan and brush when I clean them out each evening. I actually find its better on carpet, when on wood floor the hay seemed to spread much more (although it is easier to sweep up).

Mine are in a puppy pen straight onto the laminate flooring. They've got an underbed storage box as a litter tray and I just put their hay in that as they seem poo whilst eating. They've got a dog bed to lie on. Its just the hay which over a week migrates round the house on the bottom of my socks, but other than that and an occaisional misplaced wee, they are very good.

Back