• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alfie not eating - please help

Alfie_and_angel

Alpha Buck
Hi there,
I know several of you have been through this recently and I've done a search and read through the recent threads. As a result, I have done the following when I noticed Alfie had not been eating yesterday evening:
-Emptied litter tray to watch for new poo/wee
-Put out lots tempting foods
-Put snugglesafe in (she's a house bun btw)
-Started giving infacol every few hours
-Started syringing water/that recovery powder stuff (but then stopped as noticed packet was out of date:oops:)
-Gave tummy rubs and tried to encourage exercise

Before bed last night I managed to get her to eat a stem of coriander and approx half a carrot and about 5 hand-fed pellets so began to feel a bit more optimistic although she wouldn't eat ANY hay.

This morning she had done a few very small dark poos but would not eat anything at all. Offered her a papaya tablet but when she wouldn't eat that I really started to panic. Had got vet appt. 1st thing so took her along but it wasn't the usual vet. He took her temp (normal). I asked about pain med and gut stimulant I had read about on here and he agreed to give metacam and that metacloprowhatsit. Then came back and said metacam not licensed for rabbits (I didn't know this?) but would give different pain meds. Just got back and she is still hunched up and not interested in food/no poos this morn.

Really sorry for long post but v v worried - can anybody tell me how long the pain meds and gut stimulant will take to work (and if they def will?) and if there is anything else I could/should be doing?

Sorry for panic and any advice gratefully rec'd:cry::cry:

Do you know what pain relief was given ?

I would just syringe warm fluids into her, 5-10ml every hour to start with. Try to get her to hop about as movement will help promote gut motility. I would *not* administer any more Infacol for now.

If Alfie has not poo'd within the next 6-8 hours then she may need more medication so will need Veterinary attention again. Keep small amounts of her favorite food redily available and keep her warm

I hope she starts to feel better soon

Janex

Jane - thank you SO much. I'll stop the infacol immediately. The pain med the vet agreed to give began with an R or a P (feel stupid as tried so hard to remember the name) but I think I'd know it if I heard it.
If another vet would give metacam would that be better, do you think?
Am trying to get her to have a hop about.
Thank you again xx

Sounds like Rimadyl. Good advice from Jane re the fluid and stopping the Infacol. Good luck!!!!!

Jane - thank you SO much. I'll stop the infacol immediately. The pain med the vet agreed to give began with an R or a P (feel stupid as tried so hard to remember the name) but I think I'd know it if I heard it.
If another vet would give metacam would that be better, do you think?
Am trying to get her to have a hop about.
Thank you again xx

Would it be Rimadyl?

That is another Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory. My Vet prefers to use Metacam as although its unlicenced for Rabbits she believes it is less risky to a Buns Liver.

If it was Rimadyl then Alfie wont be able to have Metacam for another 48 hours. An opiate pain relief (Vetergesic/Torbugesic) may be necessary if pain remains an issue.

Janex

Thank you both, yes, Rimadyl sounds right.

I am trying to keep her hopping about but she takes a few hops and then sits quiet. This would be her snooze time anyway, but I know it's different.
Vet said he didn't think she was in pain but I really disagree. The way she is sitting, the way she sits stretched out and doesn't run away when I go to her.... :cry:

Would you have thought that the meds would be working now if they were going to? She had them about 1.5 hr ago.

Thank you for your advice.

I'm sorry for all these questions - I wish I was more knowledgeable :(

I would just carry on with the above and what you've been doing so far and if you're still really worried then a trip to the vets again wouldn't harm you. If it puts your mind at rest anyways.

I would give the medicine time, I don't know how long it would take to kick in but I would just see how it is later this afternoon.

Hope she gets better soon!

Thank you both, yes, Rimadyl sounds right.

I am trying to keep her hopping about but she takes a few hops and then sits quiet. This would be her snooze time anyway, but I know it's different.
Vet said he didn't think she was in pain but I really disagree. The way she is sitting, the way she sits stretched out and doesn't run away when I go to her.... :cry:

Would you have thought that the meds would be working now if they were going to? She had them about 1.5 hr ago.

Thank you for your advice.

I'm sorry for all these questions - I wish I was more knowledgeable :(

The Rimadyl should have kicked in within half an hour or so. She may need additional (opiate) analgesia. You know your Rabbit and if you think she is in pain she probably is. I would phone the Vet and ask if he/she thinks more treatment is needed. Was the Vet confident that there was no obstruction ? Particularly where the stomach empties into the small intestines?
A Buns GI tract is at risk of ulceration after a short period of Anorexia so maybe your Vet would consider administering an anti GI Ulcer med' like Ranitidine or Cimetidine. I have found Ranitidine (AKA Zantac) to be extremely helpful as part of the treatment protocol for GI Stasis

Janex

Thank you again :D It helps so much to know there are people reading this and thinking of Alfie. The vet did feel her tummy and didn't mention an obstruction but to be honest, I don't know how much confidence I had in the consultation. I think I am going to phone another vet and make an appointment for early this evening. I can always cancel if she improves considerably before then.

Does anyone who has posted on this thread mind if I print it out so that I can refer to it when I talk to the vet?

Thanks,

Alfie and Rose x

Excellent advice here. Just wanted to say that it always seems like forever when they're not eating, but she'll be fine soon, with the care and attention you're giving her. I definitely think that moving around helps, even though it seems cruel.

Thank you HS. Yes it feels like a whole year has passed since this morning and she won't hop by herself so I have to keep pushing her bottom to prompt her. Am doing this for a few mins at a time and then putting on her litter tray to see if she will do some poos. Nothing so far:cry:

have made an appt for 4pm at a different vets which I hoped to be able to cancel but think will have to take her. I keep syringing warm water, and have even dissolved a few of her pellets in warm water and have syringed these down but I feel like she is starting to get weaker. :( :(

sending get well vibes for Alfie x

Thank you!

Ok, just got back from the vets. alfie has had fluids under the skin and one of the pain meds that Jane recommended. They said that on Monday (ish) they are going to examine her back teeth but don't want to do it now as GA won't help with her slow guts. between now and then I just have to get the guts moving by syringing Recovery stuff every 2hr with water in between.

Vet said she could feel poo but not a huge mass so am guessing this means it's unlikely there is an obstruction?
Ohhhh I really want her to get better - so scared for her.:cry::cry: Thank you for all your support people xx

Poor Alfie, I hope he starts eating/pooping soon.

You may have read the threads on my Katy over Christmas and the good advice tht everyone gave me. It sounds like you are doing the right things and I totally agree that you were right to get a second opinion (I had to!).

My days basically consisted of feeding Katy every hour or so with some Science Recovery (watery), moving her round for 10-15 minutes even though it seems cruel, tempting her with foods - I found that eventually she found Thyme, parsely and kale more tempting. Syringe feeding her water (tepid) and lots of tummy rubs. Katy did have to spend a couple of days at the vets while she had Xrays and medication.

It is so worrying, I hope Alfie starts to recover soon. Thinking of you.

Poor Alfie, I hope he starts eating/pooping soon.

You may have read the threads on my Katy over Christmas and the good advice tht everyone gave me. It sounds like you are doing the right things and I totally agree that you were right to get a second opinion (I had to!).

My days basically consisted of feeding Katy every hour or so with some Science Recovery (watery), moving her round for 10-15 minutes even though it seems cruel, tempting her with foods - I found that eventually she found Thyme, parsely and kale more tempting. Syringe feeding her water (tepid) and lots of tummy rubs. Katy did have to spend a couple of days at the vets while she had Xrays and medication.

It is so worrying, I hope Alfie starts to recover soon. Thinking of you.
Thank you for your good wishes. I read Katy's story earlier and found it encouraging even though it sounds like you went through hell with her - esp over Xmas. I'm so glad she is recovering - is she better now?

I have just re-read your thread actually and noticed that Jane advised against syringing anything but water until things got moving. Maybe I should hold off on the Recovery stuff until I see poo?

Oh gawwd:cry::cry:

I wouldn't syringe feed, as you need to get food (ie poo) out first - lots of water though.

Thank you for your good wishes. I read Katy's story earlier and found it encouraging even though it sounds like you went through hell with her - esp over Xmas. I'm so glad she is recovering - is she better now?

I have just re-read your thread actually and noticed that Jane advised against syringing anything but water until things got moving. Maybe I should hold off on the Recovery stuff until I see poo?

Oh gawwd:cry::cry:

Your Vet said she could feel a few poos in the small intestines so her stomach is still emptying. In that situation then giving small (5-10ml depending on size of Bunny) every hour for 4 hours is what I would do. If no poo at all then I would go back to syringing just water as if the stomach is emptying, but only very slowly, overloading it can do more harm than good.

Sending lots of poo vibes

Janex

Thank you both for the advice. I've never been through this before - always seem to have headed it off with tummy rubs and some tempting food.

Just tried to feed 8ml Recovery. Thought she'd poo'd for one happy second then realised approx 5ml damp Recovery on floor. She didn't seem to be swallowing so that explains it. Must have either spat it out, or it was running down into her fur(she's v v fluffy).

Thank you for the poo vibes. Here's hoping they help xxxx

I had a similar problem with Twinkle on New Years Day, she had to have her teeth burred on Wednesday, but my vet did it without the GA.
I know how you feel, lots of poo vibes.
Best wishes Sue x

Back