• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Agh. Vets won't listen to me about my boys!

DDD

Mama Doe
I was sure that Douglas had rabbit Syphyllis (sp) as he has had swollen genitals since september. I went to vet, saw a male vet (the head vet) and he gave me fuciderm and told me to wash the area twice a day. I asked about syphyllis and he said no. In December it flared up again, and Desmond had a sore nose, which a different vet said it was an injury, unrelated to Douglas' sore genitals. I was given Baytril and told to use fuciderm again. This morning, I have put them out in their run, and Desmond has a crusty nose which to my untrained eye looks like syphyllis, and Douglas' genitals are no better than before xmas when i started treatment. So far this has cost me over £50 to get fobbed off. I'm very annoyed. Is it unreasonable of me to ask for money back as they keep treating the wrong thing?? Now im going to go back to the vets today and probably be given penicillin which will worry me, and probably cost loads. Help.

Anyone know any decent vets in Eastbourne area? Im in Hailsham, didnt want them to travel far but have use two vets here and not impressed with either.

well, i went to vets. Saw a nice lady who was miles better than other vets i have seen there. They have both had penicillin today, and will go back next Fri for 2nd dose. They are on probiotic biolapis which has to be mixed with 50mls water. What is the best way to give them this as they dont seem impressed so far!!! how can i make sure that they both have 50mls each??

agh vets wont listen about my boys

hi ya
i use st annes vetinery group and they are really good you could try them and get a 2nd opinion hope the boys feel better soon :):)

hi ya
i use st annes vetinery group and they are really good you could try them and get a 2nd opinion hope the boys feel better soon :):)

I will try next time but hopefully this penicillin will clear it up. The vets i went to seems to have lots of different vets but i liked the one i had today. she seemed to know what she was talking about!!

hints on how to give Biolapis

well, i went to vets. Saw a nice lady who was miles better than other vets i have seen there. They have both had penicillin today, and will go back next Fri for 2nd dose. They are on probiotic biolapis which has to be mixed with 50mls water. What is the best way to give them this as they dont seem impressed so far!!! how can i make sure that they both have 50mls each??

Chelsea (nodular myxomatosis) was more than happy to have Biolapis in this way- measure 7mls water from a syringe (or use one and a half 5ml teaspoonsful approx)into a bowl -add the entire contents of the Bioplapis sachet and mix til completely dissolved - I checked by touching it with a clean finger. It is important that it is completely disssolved, then break a large spring green leaf into bits (I washed and dried the leaf with a piece of kitchen roll first) and put it in the bowl of Biolapis ensuring both sides of every bit of leaf is covered with the mix then give the wet leaf to the bunny to eat.
We also heard you can add a little apple juice to the mix if you are using 50mls water in a bowl as normal.
Our vet Jason is a rabbit expert and he said it was fine to give Chelsea the Biolapis on a leaf in this way. In fact she loved it so much we still give her the leaf each evening minus the Biolapis, as she doesn't need it for eye antibiotics,/she just had Biolapis when she was on the Baytril. Hope your bun gets well soon - Sue ("Bunlover"'s mum)

i told my vet about this today and he said he was shocked when he read an article about the poor information that vets give out to their clients and how much it differs considering they all had to learn the same stuff at vet school!

Update

Well, Douglas now has a near normal size willy and bottom, and Desmonds nose is red, but no crusts so clearing up nicely. They are in for another penicillin on Fri. I just wish that the other 2vets at the practice had listened to me when i said it was syphyllis as wouldve caused less stress for bunnies and been a whole lot cheaper!!!

Back