• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RANT - Getting Rid of Bunny Waste

kerina

Warren Scout
Hi guys,

Happy new year to all! :wave:

So, here goes....

Over the Christmas period, due to lack of rubbish collections in my area, I had collected 7 large bags of rabbit waste. Now I have been told by my council that I cannot put the rabbit waste in the green recycling as it contaminates their compost (????), and that I have to bag it and put it in the normal rubbish collection.

So, thinks I, I'll take my backlog of rabbit waste to the local tip, and get rid of it there.

I pack it all into my car and off to the tip I go.

When i get there, the attendent tells me to go to Bay 4, Household Items and that I can throw the bags in there. GREAT!!! :D

I arrive at Bay 4 and a GRUMPY OLD :censored: who works at the tips comes over to me and huffs at me and says "Huh, Rabbit waste - we shouldn't be accepting that at all!".

:evil: Well, I was not impressed! Me being me saw red and replied with "Oh, well then - I'll just go and dump it all in a layby then!"

Hee hee hee - he wasn't very impressed!!

I just stroppily chucked my bags in and drove off! :lol:

God it makes my blood boil! What is sooooo bad about rabbit poos and wee - they are vegetarian for gods sake. AAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I put the waste in my own compost bin at home and it makes my weeds grow great!! :lol:

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you all do with your bunny waste??

Love

Kerina
xxx

Oh it drives me and my mum nuts too!

I tend to put any unsoiled hay in the garden waste bin, if the council says anything, my argument will be that it is only dried grass, what's the problem?

Any soiled waste, I bag up and either take to the skip at my dad's work or down the tip, both increase my carbon footprint!

my local tip wont have it neither but because they recognise me ive told them im a decorater!!!:lol:with a preggy bump!:lol:n all the bags have wallpaper etc.never ever clicked on.duh!!:lol:

Most of the year. I put most of the Hay & Straw & Sawdust in the Green Recycling bins. but 1 bin is never enough especially as its only emptyed twice a month. the rest of the time its goes into the Black Bin Bags. and goes with the normal household rubbish.

Some councils are so annoying! Rabbit waste makes great compost and should be allowed in the green waste collection...grrrr! I used to work for waste mamagement for a county council and some of the policies were so stupid.

Who do you get to do that for you? Is it a company because I have searched google for an answer to this annoying problem, but with no joy.

Thanks

Kerina

Yep, I'm afraid it is one of my biggest gripes and I can do 'grumpy old woman' with the best of them!:lol:
I have the same problem and have to double bag it and bin it down at the local tip, much to the annoyance of the ice attendants down there. I have 2 compost bins and an allotment and it won't break down at this time of year, so have to take it to the tip. Makes me so mad as it is fine for digging in.
I have a real issue with the recycling generally as I have to chuck away so much stuff that is perfectly fine recyclable material, yet the council recycling machinery is not sophisticated enough to cope with it.:?

I put mine all in the green waste bin. our council says in their leaflets that we are allowed to put vegetarian litter in our green waste bin. I use paper based litter in their tray too so all is recyclable

What exactly is the problem with it..... why are some people so humpity about it??? I was told to put it all in the wheelie bin..... I put as much paper as I can in the recycling and go round filling all the neighbours half empty bins with hay and poo the night before.

I put mine all in the green waste bin. our council says in their leaflets that we are allowed to put vegetarian litter in our green waste bin. I use paper based litter in their tray too so all is recyclable

I used to be able to put mine in the green bin but after 3 years they stopped taking it. They said it was encouraging rats :? I didn't know rats liked rabbit poo! :? I put it in the black bin now but it does mean i have to use lots of black bin bags which aren't very environmentally friendly.

well, i've filled up the home compost bin so have been putting it in the garden waste bin. left for work this morning only to meet the lorry coming the otherway so hubby had to fly out the car and pull the bin out. they took it though much to my relief.

can't see why they won't take it. hide under a layer of plant cuttings. they'll never know

I rang my local council about this a while ago, as I was also told that rabbit waste couldn't go into the compostable waste bins. I was told that the reason is that they don't actually compost it: instead they chop it up really finely and then sell it as 'soil improver'.

I have two compost bins here too but they are both full now :(

At my local skip I've always been told to put it into the household waste which I hate... but I guess at least if it does go into landfill it will break down and disappear pretty fast (being only hay, straw and wood based litter!)

I've not had a problem (as yet), putting the rabbit waste in the green bin! I don't see why it wouldn't compost, it's all organic (perhaps some councils don't quite understand what they are doing?). Out green bin specifically list animal bedding and waste on the side of it! I hope they don't change their mind! :?

Hannah

fortnightly household waste collection here, and they refused to empty my green bin when it had the rabbit/piggie waste in - so I permanently have a garden covered in rabbit poo, and a patio covered in at least 5 sacks of rubbish from the piggies - which mice love as it's full of leftover piggy food :roll: I'm just thankful it's mice not rats :? It does make my life miserable though as it's so hideous to look at. When I got my animals they did weekly collections and I had no problem getting rid of it all. 2 months later they started the green bin scheme - I hired a skip at £50 a month for a while, but I just couldn't afford it!

All bunny waste here... Well, it used to go in the compost bin. But then that got full, so we bought a second one. Then that got full. Then we turned one of our old little bins into a small 'temporary' compost bin (because I'd forgotten I'd used it as such for my first ever rabbit, and discovered some lovely compost stuff in there). They're all full. Occasionally, we take a bag or two down to my uncle who lives down the road, for his compost bin.

I don't think that we're allowed to put bunny waste in our green bin here - but I'm now going to check and make sure. It's silly at the moment, the rabbit waste is all in a compost sack type thing. I don't like it, even though my mum keeps saying it's fine, and that it's breaking down in there - it is, but still - and that she'll try and add more of it to the bins when they drop a bit. :? She does want a third 'proper' compost bin, however.

The problem is different councils take their waste to different sites, so some composting facilities can take everything, including kitchen scraps and meat/bones etc because they use high tempreture composting while other councils have different processes so can only take grass cuttings/ leaves. It makes any kind of national recycling campaign really hard as every area has different rules.

I live in a flat and have no recycling so all my bunny waste goes in the bin. We just have large skips for the whole block so amount isn't an issue, I would like to recycle it but it isn't an option.

The council doesn't even collect the waste at all from the apartments round here, we all have to pay ground rent and a private company empties the big bins in the bin yards and we just throw everything in. They've recently put a couple of huge recycling bins in so once I know what to put in them I'll start doing it.

And we pay council tax- why!? (Well I don't at the moment because I'm a student but my o/h does)

What exactly is the problem with it..... why are some people so humpity about it??? I was told to put it all in the wheelie bin..... I put as much paper as I can in the recycling and go round filling all the neighbours half empty bins with hay and poo the night before.

Didnt think of that idea. Might try when they start collection again.

Back