• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chocolate and Rabbits

racheld69

Mama Doe
:wave: Does anyone else have rabbits who are nuts about chocolate-as soon as anyone gets a chocolate out in my house Barney immediately stands on his back legs looking and sniffing round the room like a submarine periscope, then as soon as he has sussed out who has got it he mobs them. Yesterday he and Nettle both found the bowl of chocolates and both climbed up there and stole 2. I know it is not very good for them but they are chocolate fiends (a bit like me but without carrying the 2 stone of chocolate fat after Christmas).

Mine love choclate, if you want to eat some you have to stand in the middle of the living room! If you sit anywhere they will be climbing all over you!
When i stand up they try to climb up on leg!!

Yep, if Bob gets a sniff of chocolate, you have to wrestle with him, or leave the room...... though he did climb on my shoulder and steal corn flakes out of my bowl again last night, which is a tad annoying, especially when he tips the bowl and they go everywhere!!

Mine have had chocki but she found a crumb as its not a good idea to give it too them but she was like a rabbit possessed.

rick

I'm with Mandy - I was under the impression that chocolate is poisonous to rabbits. Maybe it would have to be a lot of chocolate to be immediately fatal, but presumably small amounts over time would also be harmful.

Not sure if its poisonous to bunnies - I know it is to dogs but not heard of it being poisonous to buns. I thought it was just that its not good because of all the sugar?

I'm with Mandy - I was under the impression that chocolate is poisonous to rabbits. Maybe it would have to be a lot of chocolate to be immediately fatal, but presumably small amounts over time would also be harmful.

It is bad and can be fatal as in dogs cant have choclate for the same reasons.

rick

I'm not saying I give them choclate! I think Rachael69 and me were just saying if there's choclate about they will try anything to get to it!

I'm not saying I give them choclate! I think Rachael69 and me were just saying if there's choclate about they will try anything to get to it!

Yes they are a bit obsessive about it aren't they. I remember Audrey used to jump all over me heavy breathing if I sat on the floor eating some :shock:

Yes they are a bit obsessive about it aren't they. I remember Audrey used to jump all over me heavy breathing if I sat on the floor eating some :shock:

My two won't leave us alone if we have food! Most of the time they don't want it just want to see what it is! During xmas dinner Joey nicked one of my yorkshires and run off with it!! He just wanted to play with it!

My two won't leave us alone if we have food! Most of the time they don't want it just want to see what it is! During xmas dinner Joey nicked one of my yorkshires and run off with it!! He just wanted to play with it!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Audrey learnt to bite my ankles whilst I was cooking dinner until I gave in.

Alvin goes mad for the smell of chocolate brownies when stes been eating the dominos ones, he does the love dance around him and tries to bite his fingers lololololololol

Once when i had domino indoors when he was a single bun, think he was like 9 weeks old, he was a bit nervous cus all his brothers and sisters had gone and he was without his mum, so he didnt come near me, he jus say by the sofa. THEN i came in with marmite on toast, popped it on the table, and went to the loo. it NEVER occured to me that he woulkd even take notice of it, i come back he taking tiny little nbibles of it!! i quickly took it away and he hadnt taken more than ths sixe of say 2p peice, but he kept licking his chops and staring at me!

Our very first bunnies had a stick of kitkat everyday! :shock: I'm talking late 80's/early 90's here though when you didn't neuter and kept girls together and boys seperate, when all the rabbit care that is available now didn't really exist. My mam even gave them warm milk :shock: Fair enough they didn't live to ripe old ages really but i think that had a lot to with not neutering, it just wasn't done then.

I recently read an article about how someone's rabbits died after tucking into a box of unattended chocolates. That's why I chased Lillie around our conservatory to recover the foil wrapped chocolate decoration she'd grabbed from the Xmas tree the other day. She still gives the other decorations a good sniff when she comes in - little does she know we had to eat all the chocci ones ourselves as a precaution :lol:

Mike

Yup my bridge bunny Smudge would do anything for a cadburys chocolate button. She used to live in my kitchen and I was sat on the floor eating some when she bounded over and shoved her head in the bag. I was naughty and used to give her one a week as a treat:oops: She wouldn't touch the animal chocolate drops. I'm sure as Cadburys is so milky rather than containing high percentages of cocoa solids that it's less dangerous for them than dark chocolate. But having said that my current bunnies don't get any "human" treats - a Russell rabbit carrot stick is as naughty as they're allowed.
I think it all depends on the animal and their tolerance - we came home one day to find that our dog (a pointer lab cross) had eaten an entire toblerone (the huge ones that you get on Ferries), wrapper and all. Didn't have any effect on her at all, apart from foil in her poo!!!!

My two have never had choccie, so they don't know what it is. The problem is rabbits are vegans if you like, so mine never have anything with milk, especially as they seem to be lactose intolerant as cows milk has a higher % lactose than bunny milk. Then theres the problem with the substance in cocoa which speeds up the heart, something to do with the caffiene in it- hence it can be fatal to dogs.

So whilst they may enjoy it, and small amounts may do no harm, personally I wouldn't ever feed it, treats in this house are banana and pear!:lol:

I have just spoken to my boyfriend who is at home and has just been outside and come back in to find chaos where the bowl of chocs was on the table (where they nicked 2 the other night - chocs on longer there)!! My molton brown candle is smashed on the floor and bowl of oranges knocked all over the place and barney is hiding under the radiator (well he is too fat to fit but is trying!)! :shock:

Back