• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sneezing

I have had my rabbit bert for just over a week, he is a 4 month old lop and is a house bunny. He seems really healthy but is sneezing a lot is this normal? he is eating and drinking fine and has been out of his hutch today and the room he is in is heated should I be worried?

Danielle

Hello

Rabbits should not be sneezing a lot. Has Bert got any discharge coming from his nose ? Check the insides of his front paws aswell as around his nose as Rabbits wipe their noses with their paws.

Central heating can cause problems for some Rabbits as it dries out the atmosphere. Rabbits are obligate nose breathers so very dry air can be an irritant. The use of humidifiers can help. Also, household air fresheners/polish etc can cause an allergic reaction.

I would take Bert along to your Vet for a check up to make sure that he does not have a Respiratory Tract Infection.

Janex :)

his eyes are not running, he hasnt sneezed for the past 15 mins. I think it may be the heating, although he has always been kept indooors. It only seems to be on occasion that he is sneezing

Danielle

his eyes are not running, he hasnt sneezed for the past 15 mins. I think it may be the heating, although he has always been kept indooors. It only seems to be on occasion that he is sneezing

Danielle

I would still advise that you ask your vet to check him over to be on the safe side.

Janex :)

My Bun used to sneeze quite a lot when he was young...took him to the vets and there was just nothing wrong! I then found out, after changing a few things that it was the saw dust bedding i was using. I stopped used saw dust and it stopped. He started sneezing when i brought short hay for eating so changed it to long stemmed stuff. Mine's a house bun and litter trained and he sneezes sometimes from the dust in the litter. Not sure if that helps, but another idea to find out why yours is sneezing!:D

Back