• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excel

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Right, I feed my two science selective, but its not readily available round here, so im looking to switch to either A&p or Excel.

So far I found Excel is more available, and alot better value, but I wonder, has anyone changed thier rabs from ss to excel successfully?

Im worried that they won't like it as theyve been on ss for 6 months x

No, but i changed them from Excel to SS! :lol:

You can get it delivered (SS), i get mine from "Hay experts".

Or if not i think it is quite easy changing pellets, i didn't have any problems. Also a lot of people say that Excel gives them squidgy poo's which i never had when my two were on Excel, it was because of the higher fibre content that i decided to change over to SS. :)

Mine used to be on excel and they were fine :D I switched them to SS with no problems and im sure they liked the excel better because they were really grumpy when they got their pellets for ages after that :lol:

Im wondering how many people feed excel though? Because I can get SS and excel here and not much else :lol: But you can get the huge sacks of excel but I cant find large bags of SS :(

I use Excel, and my bunnies don't have ANY squidgy poo problems! :D They all seem to really like it too, with the exception of Timmy and Binky and Bertie. I have often thought of switching to A&P pellets......but as I would have to order it, I keep changing my mind......I can get Excel just down the road from me in big sacks, so really daren't tempt fate!:roll: :lol:

Bobbin is one Excel Indie, he does have the odd extra cecal poop but they are not generally squishy (except when he had too many treats at Christmas! :oops: ). I have reduced his pellets slightly and this is all it takes to get rid of the excess cecals .

Oh and he goes bonkers for them! :lol:

Im going to get a small bag, and try it, if they don;t like it, ill stop the changeover.

Ive just discussed it with nick, and if we get many excess ceacs, then we will stick with ss.

ive got a feeling lilly will go mental as she loves her food.

x

If you go with excell try the lite version. It's nutritional break down is much closer to SS. Failing that go for standard not dwarf - even if you bunny is small :)

I'd agree with Tamsin - I had problems getting hold of SS for a while so swapped onto excel (without any problems, they really like it), I did have some excess caec problems so swapped to excel lite and they were absolutely fine on that. I'm now getting SS ordered in for me by my vets so am back onto SS!

i was told excel is full of sugar which is probably why rabbits like the taste... Alvin seriously dislikes his A&P but eats them evetually cus its all hes getting lol

They all contain some sugar - including A&P and SS if I recall correctly! As long as the overall nutrition content is ok then I think a little sugar is a fairly normal ingredient.

Last edited:
Not answering your question but if you stay with SS you could try finding somewhere local like I did by contacting the manufacturers as per their website. (Unless you've already tried :lol:)

Science - Selective Rabbit is available from your local pet shop or veterinary surgery. If you would like us to locate a stockist near you, send an email to russel@suppet.co.uk, stating Selective stockists and your address.

They put me in touch with a supplier who will order it in to collect when I need more.

Mike

If you go with excell try the lite version. It's nutritional break down is much closer to SS. Failing that go for standard not dwarf - even if you bunny is small :)

Tamsin, do you think if I changed Bobbin onto excel light it would have enough nutrients? He's 7 months now. Just thought it may make a difference to his excess cecals.

Sorry to thread crash! :oops: :lol:

I think that A&P is a lot more similar to SS than Excel is - it is also a lot cheaper - £6 - £7 for a 20kg sack! :D
Excel does have the huge benefit of being available in most pet shops though...

Tamsin, do you think if I changed Bobbin onto excel light it would have enough nutrients? He's 7 months now. Just thought it may make a difference to his excess cecals.

It should be fine - standard excel is 12% protein 16% fibre 4% oil, excel lite is 12% protein, 18% fibre, 2.5% oil, and SS is 14% protein, 19% fibre and 4% oil, so not a lot of difference really. Remember that rabbits are designed to live on low nutrient diets, so in fact too much nutrient is probably at least as much as a problem as too little.

I tried mine on A&P a year or so ago but it *seemed* to make Santa's snuffles worse and they didn't really like it, so I swapped back.

Sorry to thread crash! :oops: :lol:

Yes, it should be fine :) It's higher fibre/lower in protein which should help. If you're worried you could always feed half and half. At seven months he's pretty much an adult in bunny terms.

Yes, it should be fine :) It's higher fibre/lower in protein which should help. If you're worried you could always feed half and half. At seven months he's pretty much an adult in bunny terms.

Excellent, thank you Tamsin, and Alison for your speedy figures! :shock: :lol:

Back