• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Hopefully getting both my rabbits neutered in a couple of months time. I'm nervous for them already!

So what usually happens? Do you take the bunny in on the morning and get him back at night? Do you need to bath wound or do you just make sure he's leaving his stitches alone?

Took Flopsy in at 8.30am and he was back out by 5pm. I brought him inside for a couple of nights in a dog crate and just kept and eye on him to make sure he was drinking, eating and pooing.

You wouldn't have known he had had anything done - back to his normal self as soon as he got home.:D

The vet will give you a time to bring him in (i was there for 8am) then i signed the consent form for my little man,give him snuggles then left him,they said they wud ring me at 2 and let me no how the op went (but me bein inpatient rung at 1) and got told how he was and that he had just come round then i was allowed to collect him by 5 oclock!! :D
I was told just to keep an eye on the wound make sure he didnt pick it and i had his cage all comfied out with towels and cushions cos they advise u not to use straw incase it sticks to the wound..and he had to b like that for a week
The day dragged for me without my little man bein around me and i was rly glad to get him back!

I took Bailey in at 9ish, got a call around 1-2pm then picked him up at around 3-4pm. I didn't have to bathe his wound or anything. I made sure that he was watched for 2-3 days constantly as he did try to lick his wound a lot, but you can always put them in collars if it doesn't stress them out too much. My girl is in one at the moment and she seems ok with it. Bailey was glued too, not stitched, so he didn't have the stress of having stitches removed. He went for a post op check about 2-3 days after. Hope that helps :)

Some now have an overnight policy. Bobbin will be kept in over night when he goes in later this month, they like to make sure they are eating and pooing *before* they go home.

I am nervous too so don't worry!

When mine were done we had to keep them in over night to check they were eating and pooing and so they weren't stressed by cold temperatures, etc.

There was no need to bathe the wounds, just check that they weren't trying to pull them out or there was no obvious signs of damage.

Apart from that they were fine. In and out of the vets the same day.

I was worried about them to. :)

Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably still annoy you with more questions nearer the time.

Can you still put wood shavings in their litter tray or should I use something else when they have the op?

How big a dog crate do you suggest on getting? Bunny will only be in it at bed time or if we're out.

I take my rabbits in before 8:30 at one branch and at 10:30 at the other. I get a phone call when they are coming round and an estimated pick up time.

One surgery has the option of leaving them overnight if they have not eaten but they never eat by the time I colect them and I am confident with post-op and critical care so I bring them home regardless. Im pretty certain I will be up with one tonight :roll:

I keep them indoors for th first 24 hours in bucks and 48 hours in does. I offer them towels and paper as bedding as this does not irritate the wound. I give them a snuggle safe.

They have warm water in a bowl as some do not like reaching for the bottle after an op, a bowl with a selection of their fav greens to encourage eating and pellets (softened if they had dental work at the same time).

I check the wound and stitches twice daily and bath with saline if I see any sign of infection starting.

If they attack the stitches I 'lampshade' them.

If they are not eating or pooping by the day following the op contact your vet for advice.

Make sure your vet routinely gives painkillers and gut-stimulant post-op. Some will give antibiotics too.

Back