• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

do i have to move bifs cage to help her recover?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
My problems with Bif are as a result of her going nuts and completely unbonding with willow and attacking bertie and bandit but not like she was attacking willow.
it turned out bif had the start of gi stasis wihout me realising which turned into full gi stasis very quickly.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=112505

well i was on the phone to the nurse at shedfield hospital at 2 am and i was panicking like crazy... but whilst i was being calmed down by the nirse..if decided to eat three pelets..poo three or four of the teeniest poos ever seen.
she also made the effort to eat a cranberry and a pineapple pill..just to say look mum im ok ill hang on till morning honest!

the nurse said i was doing the best as usual and to ring if she got worse..but in the meantime she got me in at the local branch for 9am this morning!! i got to bed around 6am..up at 7.50am.....and taxi at 8.30.....vets at 9am....yup knackered!!

our vet rob said she had no distention or bloat..no obstructions.....no swellings (i guess bladder infection would leave a swelling all the time)
it sounded typical dental probs..except he was stunned..no sign of a spur and her teeth were short and clean...perfect almost!
Bif had obviously lost a nail on the other back foot in the last week or so...but it had healed. Her toenail thats ripped off is a bit sore to say the least...as usual bathe in salty water mix and put antiseptic cream on it he said. i had been bathing and using wound powder until the blood had stopped for good.
The cause...stress......
but the bonding was almost complete..her n willow had finallly curled up together regularly and washed each other etc and had been running round together in the lounge with bandit in tow and bertie snoring!

so i guess its only natural her n willow would be the first to unbond.

we gave bif metaclopramide liquid last night and rob gave her it in a jab this morning and said its in the blood for 8 hrs. he said just continue with the fibreplex as shed done a weeny pile of poo but the poos were 3 times the size they were but still sooooo small.

he gave her a painkiller for her foot...and both jabs went in her thigh whilst she was in my arms. She was again cuddly and amazingly relaxed in my arms..quite unlike other bunnies and their owners rob said..and moreover so unlike bif. but i said the other buns had made her like this..more relaxed.

or is it shes closer tome than i thpught and its my stress and upset since xmas day thats upset her along with my mum...the sleep pattern thats non existent....the 3 days of no sleep chasing two nasty kitties climbing wrecking the xmas tree. new years eve fireworks.....her toenail from the other day...all combined i guess equals as much stress as if newly bonding. so im keeping her in bandits cage alongside the pen panels with the other buns within nose touching distance. i hope she gets better and soon..i hate seeing bertie doing his impression of dumbo seperated from his mummy in the rain!!!

any tips? should i restrict the other three to the pen until she stabilises?

he said this time to keep her seperate till shes fully recovered and i can monitor her poo and wee output. poor bif.

I have kept Bifs cage alongside the wire pen panles that the other three are in...sadly now they dont tend to take much notice of her but she watches them and whenver willow is near her or sleeping alongside her cage she raises her tail over back and wees on her bedding! so the debonding is because willows the one she had the most problems with and took so long to fully bond with and after a week it sudden,ly was an unbonding within a few hours.

due to this am i being cruel having her cage alongside the pen? i was hoping it would benefit them all at least being within sniffing istamce of each other. But if willow is the reason for bif going nuts even more then should i move the cage out of eyesight/nose twitch?
Or should i leave it there so she can see bertie and bandit?

I have kept Bifs cage alongside the wire pen panles that the other three are in...sadly now they dont tend to take much notice of her but she watches them and whenver willow is near her or sleeping alongside her cage she raises her tail over back and wees on her bedding! so the debonding is because willows the one she had the most problems with and took so long to fully bond with and after a week it sudden,ly was an unbonding within a few hours.

due to this am i being cruel having her cage alongside the pen? i was hoping it would benefit them all at least being within sniffing istamce of each other. But if willow is the reason for bif going nuts even more then should i move the cage out of eyesight/nose twitch?
Or should i leave it there so she can see bertie and bandit?

Difficult decision :? This is just me personally again, but I think that I would move her, at least for the time being while she is getting better. When Bailey hurt Luuna I separated them, but left her in a small cage on the floor next to him. He would come to the bars and they would try and bite one another through them and each have their tails up in anger :( He wouldn't leave her alone and she was getting distressed, which I didn't think was good when she was trying to heal. I left her there originally as company for one another, thinking it would help her recovery. Since I have taken them out of each other's sight they seem better. She is doing great and he seems much calmer. A bit lonely maybe, but calmer. Once she is a bit better could you maybe split them into 2 pairs so she has company? I know its not the perfect solution as you wanted a foursome, but if its going to stress her and she doesn't like Willow then maybe its for the best? Bif and Bertie were together originally weren't they? Maybe have them together and Willow and Bandit together as a second pair? Its awful when they decide suddenly that they don't want to be friends :(

IMO Biff has made it perfectly clear that she is not happy in a group of 4 Bunnies.
Stress alone is enough to cause GI stasis. There is no way I would attempt to reintegrate her into a foursome, even when she has recovered.

Again, this is just my personal opinion but I dont think it is always in the best interests of *the Rabbits* to keep them in large groups. With bonded pairs you are far more likely to be able to monitor their health and welfare and there is less risk of one Bun being bullied or becoming stressed by feeling they always need to be the bully.
Perhaps, once Biff has recovered, you could bond her with just one of the others and therefore have 2 bonded pairs

Sending get well vibes for poor Biff

Janex

Last edited:
Back