• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what shall i do

sue 1974

Alpha Buck
:wave:HI i have been thinking for a while about rescuing buns. i foster 2 pairs for the rspca and also have 2 buns and 6 g.p of my own. i have the time to do it. i notice many of you rescue buns are you a proper rescue or ones who do it from home. i would only take in one lot at a time but am nervous of rehoming them. do you all do home checks first etc. i look through the preloved pages and there are so many that need help.
my hubby thinks i am mad as the money to spay will be comming out of my pocket but it's something i would like to do. my hubby will support me whatever i do.

what does anyone think as you all give out great advice. many thanks

because it must be heartbreaking to see such neglect on a daily basis...

I took Alvin to hopper haven today, rehomimg is at a standstill, 10 or more new rescues came in over december and worse 3 of the most gorgeous lionhead gals have been waiting over a year for a forever home.... i was there no more than an hour and i saw the tip of the iceberg.... you need the heart of a saint to run a rescue in my opinion..

and she gets really attached to the buns too so must be really scary seeing them off trying to trust the new home is as good as promised

I rescued 14 guinea pigs, 2 pregnant, to rehome on this forum - then I got attached :roll: are you sure you will be able to give them up? I found I just got pickier and pickier with my criteria for who would be allowed to adopt them, until nobody was allowed at all :lol: I rehomed one girl before getting attached, and I didn't do a homecheck but I knew the lady from this forum - I checked all her back posts, and asked her to email me photos of her setup etc.

There are so many things that rescues need to be brave about - dealing with ignorant, heartless people and not losing your temper, seeing animals in a dreadful state of health and not losing your temper, turning animals away when there's no room, dealing with pregnant animals in poor health and losing all the babies - the list goes on! After I'd rescued the piggies (from freeads) the breeder I'd got them off gave my number to a friend of hers who bred rabbits - I got a call saying if I didn't take 3 rabbits from her that week, they would be for the chop. That was very hard as I just didn't have room - I had to put them out of my mind :cry:

thanks for all your replies certainly food for thought. i wouldn't advertise myself as a rescue i would look on the ads and just get a set from there which sound deseperate and then spay them then rehome them, then start again. the money side worries me, all very well if they are healthy but if they need lots of dental work then that would be a problem. there was a female rabbit adverised in bedford near me. she is inside in a 3ft hutch never let out because the cats want to get her. they said she is nervous and not very happy! (are you surprised in that sized hutch). thought i could get her get her spayed then try and bond her with a buck, but then what if they don't bond etc. sorry for the long thread

Ok if the money side worried you then, you've answered your own question. I run a rescue and I do it because I enjoy it, the day it worried me or I don't enjoy it anymore is the day I stop. I don't think you can do it properly and give the buns a happy time under pressure. Do not take on any animal that you're not prepared to keep forever, so if you couldn't keep the bun if she never found a home, then don't take her on.

I notice that you were also wanting to start up a boarding business, so I don't think you know what you want other than working with animals. So I have a suggestion, have you got in touch with your local rescue to see if they need fosters? That way you have all the joy of looking after the bun, but without any of the pressure of cost?

Where abouts are you, are you London way, as there are lots of rescues your way?

hi yes i have also been thinking of boarding animals like everyone on here i can't get enough of them. i already foster 2 pairs for the rspca i also volunteer at the Rabbit residence in Royston, i tend to open up and feed the buns most Sunday morning's on my own, i go a lot more when possible. i have got a lot on but also have time for more (i love to be busy). i would love to do it but feel the money is risky as i would only be using my own funds. thanks for all your comments which have been very helpful. i think i need to stop looking at the preloved websites!!!!:roll:

hi yes i have also been thinking of boarding animals like everyone on here i can't get enough of them. i already foster 2 pairs for the rspca i also volunteer at the Rabbit residence in Royston, i tend to open up and feed the buns most Sunday morning's on my own, i go a lot more when possible. i have got a lot on but also have time for more (i love to be busy). i would love to do it but feel the money is risky as i would only be using my own funds. thanks for all your comments which have been very helpful. i think i need to stop looking at the preloved websites!!!!:roll:

I never look at preloved, it's dangerous, I know where you're coming from :lol::lol:

Back