• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering a buck with no Plums

WalnutEarth626

Alpha Buck
Is it possible? I have a 11month old buck with no plums - not a sign of them, hes barely got bald patches :shock: unfortunately this makes him unsuitable for breeding so I have someone interested in having him as a house rabbit. Hes a lovely natured boy (licks your hands if you tickle him in the right spot!) but does display typical buck behaviours, spraying and has been known to bite if I pick him up after handling another buck (hasn't done this for a while now). I'm sure neutering would solve his problems and he'd be a fabulous pet - but will the vets be able to neuter him???

Any advice??

Is it possible? I have a 11month old buck with no plums - not a sign of them, hes barely got bald patches :shock: unfortunately this makes him unsuitable for breeding so I have someone interested in having him as a house rabbit. Hes a lovely natured boy (licks your hands if you tickle him in the right spot!) but does display typical buck behaviours, spraying and has been known to bite if I pick him up after handling another buck (hasn't done this for a while now). I'm sure neutering would solve his problems and he'd be a fabulous pet - but will the vets be able to neuter him???

Any advice??

Yes it is possible and is actually essential in cases of cryptorchidism (retained tesicles) as the risk of testicular cancer is greatly increased if they are left.
The surgery is more complex than a routine castration as an incision has to be made in the abdomen. But a skilled Rabbit Savvy Vet should be able to carry out the proceedure

Janex

Jane thank you for that answer it is brilliant. We've got a rabbit boarding with us at the moment who is nearly 2 years old and the vet has told the owner they cant neuter him because his plums aren't big enough and in fact they even though he was a she for a good while because of it. I will let them know so they can reapproach their vet:D

Jane thank you for that answer it is brilliant. We've got a rabbit boarding with us at the moment who is nearly 2 years old and the vet has told the owner they cant neuter him because his plums aren't big enough and in fact they even though he was a she for a good while because of it. I will let them know so they can reapproach their vet:D

I'd advise the owners to take the Bun to a more Rabbit savvy Vet too !!

Janex :wave:

is there such a thing? i did not know you could have a both sexed rabbit? what problems would this cause?

They still need neutering as if they have a uterus they are at risk of UC just like a 'normal' Doe and if they are also cryptorchid the retained testicles can become cancerous later in life.
It is usually difficult to bond a hermaphrodite Bun as both Bucks and Does seem to reject them :cry:

Janex

Back