• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

aarrrggghh

right i know im going to sound stupid, but i noticed buttons my female bun, was making weird noises the other week, so i kept a close eye, my automatic assumtion was that shes pregnant, so i separated sparkle from buttons and well what do you know, i have a litter of about 5/6 buns that i cn see!

and i know what your going to say why didnt i get her/him done but i was going to obv too late though! :S

so the babies now have fur and they are aout the size of the plam of my hand, their about a 2 weeks old now, shes verrryyy protective so shes not neglecting them atall.

is there anything else i need to do to help them?

lol sparkle and buttons being spayed and neutered asap aswell latest is the 23rd

any advice would be great

sophie x x x x x

If she's just given birth then you can't have her spayed until the kits are weaned. Get the boy done ASAP though!

Why on earth were you keeping an entire male with an unspayed female if you knew their sex?

Anyway, I hope the babies are ok - are you going to keep all of them?

well at first i wast sure of their sex, and i was saving to get them done but obv too late.

no im not keepin all of them, maybe one, but the boy is being done asap. and then when i can she will be too.

thanks xx

Make sure that you don't put him back with her as soon as he is done as he could still get her pregnant! Its advised to keep them separate for 6 weeks after his neuter to make sure there is no active sperm left. Of course, if you have her done before then, then its ok, although he could hurt her if he mounts her when she is only just spayed. Also, make sure you get the babies correctly sexed by an expert (remember that vets don't always get it right!) and separated after weaning and that any boys don't stay with mum after the time when they are fertile or she could get pregnant again.

Edited to add: be careful how you rehome the babies too. Freead bunnies could go to bad homes, or even to people looking for meat to feed other animals. Sad, but true :(

Back