• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Girlie Boblets-I Hope I Am WRONG

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Some of you may know that I lost all three girlie Boblets, Nellie, Peggy-Sue and Bree within 48 hours. They were 5 months old :cry:
Post mortem concluded cause of death was Pyloric Stenosis.

I have really struggled to come to terms with losing them and have researched endlessly as to what may have caused it. It is a condition that can be congenital and a 'trigger' for it developing can be a bacterial gut infection. Bacteria and Coccidia were ruled out at PM.

Cutting a long story short the girls were weaned at 4 weeks due to Bobbie giving birth again and also having Pneumonia :cry: The girls developed a clear nasal discharge a few days later and me and our Vet really did not want to put them on antibiotics due to the high risk of their guts being effected. Also the nasal discharge was clear so we wondered if an allergy could be the problem. Eventually me and our Vet agreed to try the girls on a tiny dose or antihistimine (Loratidine). This did resolve their runny nose symptoms *however* my research has led me to find out that in*humans* if Loratidine is taken by a pregnant woman it can cause PYLORIC STENOSIS in neonates.
I am waiting for Christobel to get back to me re the likelihood of the direct administration of Loratidine to the girls *might* have caused their PS.
If it did then, well, their death is my fault as I suggested the treatment to our Vet and she agreed

:cry:

Janex

no jane their death is the result of that dirty evil place where they were rescued from... what ever treatment was given was to fix the mess that already existed definatley not your fault... please get that out of your head xxxx

That's really sad, but you can't blame yourself...everything has side effects :(

Rabbits are commonly used for medical research, so there is a strong possibility that the side effects you mentioned were first discovered in rabbits.

Amy

Do not to blame youself, you did the best you could for these little and unfortunate bunnies. I'm no doctor but I'm sure medicine is not an exact science.

Hannah

Jane that's not true, it's not your fault! Please don't do this to yourself, you were trying to save them, even if this is so, you were not to know and both you and Christobel were trying to do everything that you could :cry:

Definitely not your fault, for several reasons, but mainly:

1. you ran this by your vet - it might be a very different story if you had just been trying random things out yourself without your vet's approval
2. it was a case of trying to find alternatives and weighing up various risks. They might have died anyway of the breathing problems if the antihistamine hadn't been given.

Easy to say, but please try not to beat yourself up over this.

Jane..... It is not your fault, dont blame yourself. I know you would have doe the best you could for them and *NOT* put them into any more danger that they had been in.
It is easy to blame yourself as I have at bonding me two, but you tried every avenue I guess.
Loads of hugs x x x

Jane it isn't your fault, its the fault of the place you got them from. You did everything you could for them and they loved you very much for the happy life they had xx

Well if the PS was caused by the Loratidine then I think it is something Vets need to know. Also, I wonder how many pregnant women take antihistimines, you can buy them over the counter or in supermarkets..............

Janex

Well if the PS was caused by the Loratidine then I think it is something Vets need to know. Also, I wonder how many pregnant women take antihistimines, you can buy them over the counter or in supermarkets..............

Janex

it's certainly something vets need to know about, but it's no way your fault!

Pregnant women cannot take any antihistamines, none are recommended for use when pregnant and all say so on the boxes

Oh Jane......PLEASE don't do this to yourself!!! :cry: :cry: Everyone here KNOWS how much you loved the Boblets.....and how tirelessly you worked to keep them all well, healthy, happy, and loved. There is no WAY that you are even remotely responsible for their deaths. I know that when you are grieving over the loss of much loved pets, you ask yourself a relentless string of 'whys' and 'what if's?'.......but please DON'T even consider the fact that there is any way that you could have POSSIBLY foreseen this.....you did EVERYTHING right.....and the girlie Boblets were EXTREMELY lucky to have spent their short lives with you, being loved and cared for. **hugs** x

Jane please don't blame yourself you do all you can for your rabbits. You know far more than most of us on here will ever know. If your vet didn't know, how could you expect to know?

As you say if this is the case in humans, why isn't this made aware to people especially as you can buy them over the counter. The name is Clarityn for the over the counter ones. I take these antihistimines, but not expecting a baby thankfullly.

Jane you must think about how much good you do for these rabbits - concentrate on that, not on the things that have gone wrong.

Christobel says she thinks it 'unlikely' that the Loratidine was the cause of the girl's PS but she is not 'certain'. She will be contacting Bristol Rabbit Clinic to see would they think.

Janex

Awww Jane - don't beat yourself up :( Ever since I nursed Basil piggy back to health I'm so full of regret that I didn't notice his sons, Rudolf and Irwin, going down with the same symptoms before it was too late to save them :( I feel so sorry, and guilty, but what's done is done so I don't allow myself to brood on it :(

PS - don't forget - a highly competent vet agreed with your idea and prescribed the medication accordingly - it's more Christobel's responsibility than yours :?

Please Jane don't blame yourself.

Think of all the rabbits you have helped in the past. I don't think that anyone tries harder for their bunnies than you and I know that you would always make a decision based on what you feel is best for the rabbit. No rabbit can ask for more than that.

Vanessa xx

Just to echo what everyone else has said really. However I think your dedication to trying to find the reason for their untimely death and to hopefully prevent other rabbits dying from something similar is very admirable. x

If a tragic mistake has been made then at least we need to learn from it

I do not blame Christobel in any way what-so-ever

Janex

Last edited:
If a tragic mistake has been made then at least we need to learn from it

I do not blame Christobel in any way what-so-ever

Janex

if you dont blame your vet hun, you need to let yourself be blameless too... and save all the blame for the scum that allowed them to live in such a situation that they got sick in the first place :cry::cry:

Back