• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been to the vets - EC and mites? :(

toffee

Mama Doe
I went to the vet last night. He took a scraping from Melanie's leg but he couldn't find skin mites. He gave her Ivermectin anyway because he says this is the most likely explanation for her bald patches.

He thought at first that Prince had Myxi!!:shock: But then decided it was the wrong time of year and as there isn't really a treatment for myxi anyway and Prince is not very very sick he has prescribed Panacur as he thinks it is most likely E Cuniculi.

We'll have to see how they both respond, but if Melanie gets worse or doesn't respond to Ivermectin then we will treather for E Cuniculi as well.

Any opinion on what my vet has said? My original thread about their sickness is here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=112538

Last edited:
Your vet sounds very confused! Interestingly, Ivermectin is also a treatment for EC (although not the treatment of choice), as well as Panacur. Did the vet want to do a follow up of the Ivermectin? That would be usual in cases of mites.

Errrrmmmm, what ever made the Vet suspect Myxi :shock::? and the change his/her mind and say EC ................

Personally I would put Melanie onto Panacur too despite the fact she has had Ivermectin. But check that your Vet is happy with this

The course of Panacur will need to be for at least 6 weeks if 'active EC' is suspected. Although tbh I am not convinced :?

Janex

I went to the vet last night. He took a scraping from Melanie's leg but he couldn't find skin mites. He gave her Ivermectin anyway because he says this is the most likely explanation for her bald patches.

He thought at first that Prince had Myxi!!:shock: But then decided it was the wrong time of year and as there isn't really a treatment for myxi anyway and Prince is not very very sick he has prescribed Panacur as he thinks it is most likely E Cuniculi.

We'll have to see how they both respond, but if Melanie gets worse or doesn't respond to Ivermectin then we will treather for E Cuniculi as well.

Any opinion on what my vet has said? My original thread about their sickness is here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=112538

Get a second opinion.

If your vet has reason to suspect EC ALL in contact rabbits need a 6 week Panacur course and the others a minimum of 9 days.

Your vet sounds very confused! Interestingly, Ivermectin is also a treatment for EC (although not the treatment of choice), as well as Panacur. Did the vet want to do a follow up of the Ivermectin? That would be usual in cases of mites.

She will have 2 follow ups, 1 next week and one the week after

Errrrmmmm, what ever made the Vet suspect Myxi :shock::? and the change his/her mind and say EC ................

Personally I would put Melanie onto Panacur too despite the fact she has had Ivermectin. But check that your Vet is happy with this

The course of Panacur will need to be for at least 6 weeks if 'active EC' is suspected. Although tbh I am not convinced :?

Janex

My vet says his eyelids were a bit red but he didn't think he's poorly enough for it to be myxi?

Get a second opinion.

If your vet has reason to suspect EC ALL in contact rabbits need a 6 week Panacur course and the others a minimum of 9 days.

My vet says that if Panacur seems to work on Prince then we will treat all of my rabbits as a matter of course.

I don't think he's entirely sure it's EC himself. The problem is Prince's symproms are quite vague - he just seems "not himself" and a bit more sleepy than usual.

Back